Sign in to follow this  
shortspecialbus

747 FSX "Out of available memory" WinXP

Hi,I did a search and read through various threads, and didn't find a solution other than "Run Windows XP, not Vista." Well, I am running Windows XP :)This is a brand new, fresh install. MSI P35D3 Platinum Motherboard, Intel E8400, 4GB DDR3 RAM. I just built the machine yesterday. It has a slightly older Sapphire Radeon X1900 XTX for a video card.FSX is installed on its own drive, with the following addons, and nothing else:Ultimate Terrain X - USAGround Environment X - USAFlight Environment XActive Sky XFSGenesis US National LandclassPMDG 744 FSXLevel D 763 FSXFS2Crew for Level D 763FSUIPC 4.25Other FS related programs are:FSBuild 2.3and if you count CH Control Manager, not running in the background because I do mapping with FSUPIC.Testing stuff out today, I did a flight from KMSP to KATL in the 744. Got to final approach to RWY08L at KATL in autoland, probably about 3 miles out from the threshold when I got the fun and exciting "Out of available memory" error. I know I'm running a fair amount of scenery here, but part of the fun of FS for me is pretty scenery, so I'd prefer not to get rid of any of it.If there's a solution here that I missed (I also checked PMDG OPS) please let me know, I'm up for trying about anything. About all I use this machine for is flightsim.Thanks!-stefan

Yeah, XP is SP2 with all updates, FSX is SP2, and every other addon is updated to the current version. I'll give the /3GB switch a go, that's new to me. Thanks much for the help, I'll report back if it works or not next time I have time for a flight.-stefan

Out of curiosity, is there any way to tell if it's working, besides hoping you don't have a crash?Also, I was reading up on the userva option for boot.ini, and it looks like it should be set to 2900 or higher, not 2560. Is there a specific reason to make it so low?-stefan

Phil Taylor explains the process here: http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...ress-space.aspx Quoting the relevant section: Note this switch needs to be used with care, since PCI-Express maps the entire address space of the graphics card into the OS address space. If you set the app to use 3G with a 768m graphics card, that leaves 256m for the OS. A better setting is 2560, eg 2.5G, since that leaves 768m for the OS with a 786m graphics card. Much more reasonable.Regards,Jim Karn