Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Dreier

Load Manager for 744F, a question?

I'm NOT sure that the Load Manager is working correctly in my "F" version. I set the cargo load, get the zero fuel weight,etc., and then click "save". It looks okay, but when I click the manager to exit, everything is "wiped out" as if there's no load. Shouldn't it show the load, as saved, even as I click to exit? I ask this because it seems I may be getting overloaded aircraft (judging by flying charactistics). Help please.

You didn't mention if this is the FS9 or FSX version, which behave differently. Neither version "saves" the previous settings for the next use.The FS9 version should be used before loading the aircraft. You verify it worked by looking at the calculated GW indicated by the FMC and/or the fuel load.The FSX version will also work while the aircraft is running in FSX, once again, you can verify the load with the FMC or the ECAS fuel indication.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks Dan. It is FS9, and something is quite wrong. After doing a LOT of testing, the FMC does verify the calculated GW as indicated in the Load Manager. I load the fuel through the PMDG menu and most of the time it "takes" though not always. Even so, after confirming the fuel, GW, entering Take Off speeds, setting the trim to 6.0 units, etc., and flaps 10 - the aircraft seems much overloaded and cannot maintain speed, climb, etc. using VNAV. Flap retraction is on schedule, or ahead of schedule. Even going to zero climb on v/s, the aircraft stalls. I'm thinking of doing a reinstall? Thoughts? BTW, my cargo loads are approximately 2/3 full and fuel is perhaps 70,000 lbs (KMIA to KATL)

It'd help to know what your GTOW was.. assuming it was about 650,000 you shouldn't have any problem with speed or climb. First thing I always check when my IAS seems low after takeoff is to make sure the gear is up (I must admitt I've learned this from real world experience, blush). Next, check power/thrust. Maybe the A/T isn't controlling the thrust?Admittedly, this is a separate problem from the load manager operation. The FMC always has a GW value for you to verify loading.Don't bother with a reinstall, look for the problem first.

Dan Downs KCRP

Here we go. Just did this and took notes. Here's what happened. Flight KATL-KBOS, estimated fuel needed 78260lbs.In 747F Load Manager I set: Cargo Weight 219510lbs for ZFW of 585565lbs. Fuel on Slider to 82707lbs. Shows Actual T/O Weight on 668363lbs. Saved and the closed Load Manager.Loaded 747F (GE Engines/Atlas Air) Cold & Dark. General/Options/Fuel shows 82.700 already loaded (sometimes I have to set it as it shows full fuel), clicked Apply Now and OKRoute loaded in to FMC, PERF INIT entered ZFW of 585.6, Reserves 12.0, Cost Index 75, Cruise Altitude 350. Thrust Limit Sel Normal Takeoff and Clmb (armed) Takeoff Ref: Flaps 10 Clicked V1 134, VR 148, V2 165. Trim shows 6.0 CG 21%. Set trim on pedastal to 6.0 units.FD is on, RTO is set, IAS is set for 180, Heading set to Rwy hdg, ALT set to 10k. EICAS is clear. Flaps confirmed at 10. A/T Arm is set when in position and holding on Rwy.Engine spool up, click on "screw". THR REF ok, t/o according to V speeds. Gear up at positive rate. VNAV is armed, A/P Engaged around 180knots. PROBLEM BEGINS: Aircraft pitches to 30 degrees, Climb rate has gone to 5400' per minute. Airspeed decays. Stick shaker. I retract flaps to 5 even though we're well below that speed and (on this occasion) am able to recover. This time we recovered. Most times it's beyond salvage. So, why the pitch up to 30 degrees and an initial climb rate of 5400'? Could it be that the trim is set too high? Thoughts?BTW, I've flown this aircraft many times, but not recently. The only thing that could possibly have happened is that I tried to use it with FSPassengers, but did not and the original aircraft.cfg and air files are being used.

Chuck,I've seen this problem rectified with a reinstall. It seems something gone awry with the AFDS logic in previous cases.Hope it helps,

Guest lgvpilot1

I have to ask :-) I presume that you are using fs9 (fspassengers)Have you checked that fs9 default fuel and payload are zero?If not would this have any affect?Mark

Mark, Yes I'm using FS9 and FS9 FSPassengers. Fuel/Payload in the PMDG Load Manager is zero/zero for the passenger version (where I have no problems). I'm not using the 747F version with FSPassengers.

Chuck,IIRC FSPassenger will not load payloads correctly. It will put the loads way out of centre-of-gravity boundaries on the PMDG aircraft. Running the PMDG load manager will not rectify this problem. You need the original load and balance figures (actually the coordinates for the respective loads) in the aircraft.cfg file for this.Hope it helps,

Guest lgvpilot1

MatsI did notice that Chuck said he was not using fspassengersfor the 747fI was wondering if the fact that fs9 seems to fuel your aircraft for you has any affect?I always make sure that fuel and payload are zero in the window as i create a flight.I know you can fuel your PMDG with the default fuel loader and this is regarded as a big No no!Would the fact that the aircraft has been 'loaded' by FS9 have any affect?Just a ThoughtMark

@ Chuck,A few days ago a friend of mine had the same issues but with the 744X, no extra addons installed not even another aircraft or scencery, only FSX, SP1, SP2 and the 744X. He started with Costindex 100. After a few flights he lowered the Costindex in steps and is now flying with 40 or 45. It seems that the issues were gone. I don't know if I'm right, it's only a suggestion to you. I hope it helps.PeterBelgiumFlightsimulator is not a simulation, it's a way of life ....

Well, I did an uninstall and reinstall of 744F and on a quick "test flilght", everything seems normal. I'll take her up for a full trip later and let you all know if the problem is fixed. Thanks!

On the next flight I still had the problem. So, I uninstalled every one of my PMDG products (Beech 1900C and D, the 737 series, and both the 747 Queen of the Skies and the 747F). Reinstalled everything, and so far - so good. We'll see.