Sign in to follow this  
Guest andrew59it

747 climb constraint

Guest andrew59it

I usually fly this wonderfull a/c without problems.... But now I'm trying to make something I'm not able.I would like to set a flight plan with altitude constraint to follow a step climb profile. This how I do:I put the final level into the FMC perf page or cruize page (ex. fl400) . Then I set altitude constraints into the flight plan page beside one or two waypoint (ex. fl320 and fl 360). Engage VNAV.I expect the a/c reach these points and then continue to climb automatically untill fl400 is reached. But usually this not happens. The a/c reach the first constraint and stays there. It continue to climb if I press vnav again.There is something wrong in my procedure?Thank you very much for helpingAndrea

You didn't mention if you were changing the MCP ALT setting, which would be required.Why not let the FMC calculate the step climb points? It's pretty close to accurate. Conversely, you might not get to step climb RW until cleared by ATC in spite of your best laid plans.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest andrew59it

Yes of course, I set the higher fl into the MCP Alt setting.When I follow the flight I let the FMC to calculate the step climb profile, but sometime I have to let the a/c alone for one or two hours (flying off-line) so I calculate the steps before the flight hoping to find the a/c at the correct level coming back.... :^)ThanksAndrea

I see, but I think it takes pilot intervention to effect the climb (eg, push the MCP ALT control) so if you are away from the flight deck it won't automatically step climb.

Dan Downs KCRP