Sign in to follow this  
guy

pmdg 737 one engine flight

Hi all,First I wanted to test the "V1 cut" of the Pmdg-failures using the right engine. This seems not to work at all. The panel indicated "failure already happened" , but the engine continued to run.So,during climb, I used the normal Fs failures for the right engine. This worked. I got the aural message "engine failed" and the engine was shut down.But to my astonishment the plane continued straight ahead without any reaction apart from loosing speed and the disconnection of VNAV. Even when I disconnected the autopilot it continued straight ahead! No right yaw, nothing! It continued to climb slowly with reduced speed. I used FLCH and VS to continue climbing.I continued my short flight using a reduced cruise altitude of 21000 feet (and reduced speed) and flew also the descent, approach and ILS interception without problems using the autopilot. It is only on the final approach that it veered to much to the right of the ILS course, so I had to use left rudder trim (10-15 degrees) to hold it on course and finally on very short approach I had to disconnect the autopilot and do the landing manually.I tried all this two times using the 737-700 with the same result!Is it normal that there is no yaw reaction immediatly at the engine cut?Guy

Just a wild guess... if you say you have NO movement in Yaw at all, could it be that you have 'Auto Rudder' engaged in FS9 options? Realism sliders are not per chance set on easy?Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Thanks for the answer.Autorudder is off and realism-settings are about 80% (all parameters).It is curious that the yaw reaction appears only on fibal approach.Guy

Thanks for the answer.I made another flight with the 737-700 using the realism settings recommended by Pmdg.When the right engine was cut during climb (with full climb power), there was a reaction this time. On autopilot the plane banked lightly and when I switched the autopilot off there was a light and slow right yaw which I could control with ruddertrim.I think the reactions are too light and soft. On this point the default 737 seems a bit more realistic to me.Guy

Guest aarskringspier

If you think the default 737 is more realistic then youve got a configuration problem on your end. This aircraft is extremely realistic.

Randy,There is no doubt that the pmdg 737 is a fine aircact.Here I meant only the engine cut reaction.The reaction of the default one is not so soft as the pmdg one, at least on my PC.What do you get as reaction then when you cut one engine during climb with full climb power?Guy

Guest aarskringspier

My aircraft yaws towards whatever engine is out. Im a bit confused as to what you think it should do? Spin a 360 into the ground? To say yhe default aircraft is more realistic in anyway to this one is quite a statement.

My aircraft yaws also towards the cut engine, but in a very soft way.And I don't think the reaction of the real 737 is that soft! That's all.Guy

>And I don't think the reaction of the real 737 is that soft! Guy,you think, or you know?You have to be aware of the fact that one engine out feels more smooth when already at a good speed, meaning climb speed or 250kts. What speed are you at when you fail the engine? Also when you do get a flame out it is obvious that the available thrust is not cut instantly. An engine spooling down is still delivering thrust. Things look different should you have a more catastrophic failure such as an uncontained engine failure but the PMDG 737 doesn't simulate that.In any way the biggest reaction in Yaw you will get if your engine fails precisely at V2 while at maximum take-off thrust. Should you for any reason push the wrong rudder pedal at that moment you might end up rolling your plane on it's back. And last but not least a one engine out on a desktop simulator never feels the same as in the real aircraft or the Level-C or D simulator for that matter because you don't FEEL anything when it happens.Try a V2 cut with un-derated thrust and you will see a different behaviour than at climb thrust already...Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Hi,Try to cut an engine just after V1 and see what happens.Have fun :)Best Regards,Bert.

Thanks for the answer, Markus.To give you some numbers, I made another test with the 737-700, cutting the right engine during climb phase at about 5000 feet , with 95% N1 and 250kts.On autopilot with neutral rudder the plane banked only very lightly (about 2