Sign in to follow this  
badderjet

Landing Light Legalities - What Are They?

Guest Heather 636

While working on the Duck project, with Bill Morad and Bob Familton doing the panel work, I had decided to have him delete a landing light switch since in none of the many photos I had examined could I see any.Bill broght up a very good question though. If flying that plane today, would it have to have any?Or is there some sort of legal waiver for historical aircraft?I have no idea!!Heather

Guest KenG

Under 14 CFR Part 91, a plane only needs a landing light at night if it is for hire/rent. I don't have the FARs available to see what the other chapters/parts (135, 121) say.

Guest Heather 636

Thanks Ken!I'll pass that info on to my panel men.Cheers!Heather

Guest Heather 636

LOL!Relax Badderjet. Really! It's okay. Takes a LOT more than mistaken identity to upset me.No worries. :)Cheers!Heather

From the AIMAircraft position lights are required to be on from sunset to sunrise. In addition, aircraft equipped with anti-collision lights must have them on during day and night operations. The PIC can turn off anti-collision lights if he or she determines that they constitute a safety hazard in adverse weather conditions. (AIM 4-3-23) Pg A-203.DAVID C. FREEMANCONTINENTAL VIRTUAL AIRLINESHouston

I dont think they are required to be swithced on even at night ut i think if it is bad wethear they are switched on