Sign in to follow this  
Guest JacobKoziarz

Original manuals for PMDG 747-400 and FSX/SP1/SP2

Guest JacobKoziarz

Does the original info as per:http://www.precisionmanuals.com/priv/pages/down/docs.htmlandhttp://smithplanet.com/fs2004/pmdg/still applies to FSX ?Does the FSX version still contain bugs in the lessons as mentioned in the 2nd link ? Is it safe just to use what came with FSX version ?Also, if there are some other manuals a'la 2nd link - could you reply with some links ? I'd like to start with some time-efficient manuals first without having to read thru 100s of default manuals if it turns out that my FSX/SP1/SP2 can't handle this plane, seems that there are a lot of people with all kinds of performance problems.

Guest JacobKoziarz

Obstacle no.1:ELEC ENG CONTROL switches to NORMdoesn't workI can only open the covers - NORM will not come on...What up ? PMDG Worshippers ?

Guest JacobKoziarz

OK - i'll just answer my own question for others that might wonder (thanks for help - hahaha)Skip this step:Set all four ELEC ENG CONTROL switches to NORM.These will come on eventually as the start up progresses. Not sure why this manual has that instruction - maybe it works in FS9 version and not FSX.Other than that - follow the manual - it should work for you and it is way better than trying to do this from the PMDG published manual and tutorials - manual long and tutorials not illustrated enough - so you have to switch constantly between manual and tutorial - and searching thru 300+ pages is too much for my patience. But of course - it's a must for reference-like material. I just want to thank Jared for making this possible for me before I ran out of patience. I bet many others owe him this as well. Too bad PMDG doesn't take the same approach - not to mention outdated rt2 flight plans - that wasted my time as well.Another mention - if you want ATC - remember that you can fly this just like default FSX 747 with SPD, HDG, ALT autopilot features - takes a little while to figure it out. Just program FMC minus the RTE-related components (so you can set the approach flaps/speed based on your weight and manually tune LOC frequency in FMC for intercepting ILS).And - unfortunately it looks like you will need FSBuild as well to build rte plans for this (unless you chose the ATC option I described above) - since what PMDG provided is crap.Good luck to everyone - don't give up - this is so awesome (especially night cockpit lighting) - you have to succeed believe me - you will not go back to default FSX 747.

Guest JacobKoziarz

just make sure you get ILS frequency and rwy hdg from the map and enter in format: 109.90/341 for example and you're done !!!Fly 747-400X with FSX ATC and ability to move the plane on the map to cut the crusing time...

Guest JacobKoziarz

Forget the last suggestion - either get radar contact or forget flying without RTE FMC and with FSX ATC. Manual ILS freq approach does not always work - weird things happen - won't pick up or won't properly track ILS (needles don't show or fill) and even if it they fill and track - sometimes it won't even line up with runway. Forget about PMDG's rt2 flight plans too - they're crap. You will need FSBuild for rte plans. Or, you can do it all manually using waypoints from FSX map (some do not line up with pmdg database, so you have to always try a few). It's easier than you think for short flights - dep from airport/rwy you want, waypoint, another waypoint to nicely line you up with rwy you want to land on, arrival on that runway and that's it.

I think some of your statements are a little on the harsh side personally. I can understand that you're excited and want to jump into this simulation and off you go, but the reality is, like the real thing, that's just no going to happen. If you want something like that use the default aircraft, if you want something realistic, expect to take time to learn the ins and outs of the aircrafts avionics and other systems, besides that's half the fun.The manuals released by PMDG are not definitive "how to" guides. They are reference material designed to give background and detail regarding the aircraft systems provided within the simulation. These manuals are also highly condensed to make it easier, the original boeing manual is well over 1000 pages long. There are a lot of "how to" tutorials and additional manuals, some are just push button guides, "press this", "press that", some are more detailed. Try speedbirdonline or look in the PMDG ops pages.Recommendations would include Angle of Attack DVD (soon to come out), the PDF manuals on simmarket, the tutorials and reference material on the PMDG and PMDG ops site, Speedbirdonline, smarkcockpit, etc, etc.The flight plan criticism is a bit silly in my opinion and seems again harsh. It's easy to create your own plans when you know how and store with within the FMC. You don't HAVE to get tools like FSBuild (although they are handy and I use it), you could if you wanted plan routes using free charts and enter them and save them directly within the simulation. The flightplans given are really just to get you started, I never use them personally, always get real plans from online and then enter them manually or use FSBuild to create CO-ROUTES if they're long to save time. Sometimes plan my own..The tutorials are always open to interpretation by the reader as well, and sometimes contain mistakes. I've found this with mine, some people have trouble with certain aspects and need a little help, some don't, it's just a matter of interpretation. But with the manual and tutorials combined, PMDG have given you more than enough information required to conduct their tutorial flights. They are very useful, and demonstrate some of the work that's gone into the simulation.My friendly recommendation to you, is to have a look at a more detailed tutorial and follow that. Those will give you a better grounding and the foundation skills and understanding you can build upon. Once you're proficient, and understand the systems in detail you'll start to realise just how much they've put into it, and enjoy it more.CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Guest JacobKoziarz

More like constructive criticism and my observations to other desperate newbies. I did read, have a binder of all the documentation that I use for reference etc. I did it the hard way and I liked the learning experience and appreciate the 747-400X. However, some things I just don't understand.rt2 flight plans are outdated and it's a fact - why release outdated flight plans - so newbies get "Not in database" half the time ?Build my own ? I try, but it's a waste of time as well and FMC database does not recognize a lot of FSX Navigation Map waypoints / jetways etc.So how is a newbie not to get frustrated ?

Ms/Mr Nameless,Please sign your posts as per the forum rules or your posts may get deleted.>So how is a newbie not to get frustrated ?By gaining some understanding on the concept of airliner operations perhaps?Regarding flight plans. Please understand that the flightplans are basically outdated one month after release as the AIRAC changes once a month. In this cas PMDG is darned if they do and darned if they don't.Flight plans and navdata is a dynamical set of data. Based on weather and current operational conditions flightplans usually change on a trip to trip basis. rt2 as well as rte files delivered with this aircraft is in this sense both outdated. Besides I think the rt2 file format is an internal format for the FMC used for saved states.For flightplans I would not use FSX or FS9 internal database as this is obsolete as well when it is released. Rather do a search (use the advanced search function) on this forum for flight planners. There are several good ones online that will use current data.In closing I would suggest you try to keep your critisism and observations a little less intimidating. Just a friendly advise from a long time lurker to a newbie. ;-)Hope it helps,

Guest JacobKoziarz

You want my name - look at my login - that's my name. Sign where ? I have subject / post / attachment fields only. If you want to enforce signing - provide extra field. Thanks for the info on AIRAC, but how outdated do those plans have to be that even the runways are incorrect ? Are you saying - major airports renumbered their runways since those plans were made ? Are we on the same page here ? And it would be nice if the pmdg stated in their documentation that some if not most flight plans do not work instead of saying "we have provided hundreds of flights - just use the co-route to load" so you could receive "not in database".You probably forgot what it is like to be a newbie - there's nothing more frustrating than reading and searching and testing over and over again just to find out that the published directions you're following are incorrect and/or outdated.

Look at the majority of posters in this forum. They just add their name at the bottom of the text field. Or do it the smart way and add a signature to your account and your name will always be in the bottom of your posts. Easy as that. If you need help on how to add your signature to your account please read the FAQ and help sections for the AVSIM forums.And with all due respect. Everytime I buy a new add-on be it scenery or enhancements or aircrafts, or get to test another PMDG aircraft I am a newbie again. As a newbie I try to tread lightly in new forums to get a grip of the atmosphere and attitudes as well as doing extensive searches as I am aware that my problems most certainly have been dealt with earlier. Especially if I am buying something that has been out on the market for some time. I do read all manuals provided and try to find extra information that other users before me has produced.In closing I would suggest you read the forum guidelines and use the advanced search function as most of your dilemmas has been dealt with before.Regards,

Guest JacobKoziarz

Thanks for all the help - posting in forums is my last resort. I gave in to frustration I guess.JacobKoziarz