Sign in to follow this  
pbelb

Vista x64 SP1 with FSX and 747-400X

Jacob,sorry for the slow reply.regarding the flight plans, it turns out that there is a very nice, easy solution.I use www.simroutes.comonce you can find / create a flight plan, they have an export capability, for which PMDG is an export option.if you save this directly to the PMDG flightplan sub directory in your FSX installation directory hierarchy, (make sure you alter the permissions of the directory so that you can download from the browser), you will then be able to use the name of the file, and hit the button for the 'airline route' on the FMC, and it will load all of the details directly.I believe there are also some other tools out there that can help with building flightplans, but I have not really used them.I believe for us based vatsim use, www.simroutes.com is pretty good, as it seems that a large number of the atc use this to figure out what is a viable route, so there will be a good amount of correlation between what the atc says they want you to fly and what is available to download.I hope this helps.how did you make out with the re-load of your system?

Guest JacobKoziarz

Thanks.We've tried many times to reinstall on my friend's system - clean. defrag etc with SP1/SP2. So got Acceleration and did SP1/Acceleration instead of SP1/SP2 - I think Acceleration works better - definitely less crashes.Thanks for the simroutes suggestion - never came across this one in my search for the holy grail of mastering pmdg 747-400X.However, I'm still curiuos:Any idea why those pmdg rt2 plans are outdated (runways, waypoints) and terminate in the middle of the runway at 90 degrees ? Did that work in FS2004 ? How do you pick up LOC if the the last coordinate in FMC terminates in the middle of the runway at 90 deg. ? FRAMUC001 is the example of that and I'd love to have someone explain this to me.

Guest JacobKoziarz

I've tried simroutes - but it only generates waypoints from and to airport without runway info - so how do I use this ? If I use just that - how do I intercept LOC if no runway info is provided ? Do I enter runway info manually into FMC via Approach/Arrivals ?Does FSBuild generate flight plans as per attached - this is from:http://smithplanet.com/fs2004/pmdg/This has a nice final waypoint to line you up with runway for LOC interception and both rwys information - everything you need for a perfect full autoland landing.

What runway you will be assigned depends on the current winds. You should always choose a runway heading into the wind. As the winds changes on a constant basis they are never included in flight plans as more than informational data.As you get closer to the airport you find out what winds are present and you choose your arrival procedure and runway procedure accordingly. This is usually done before the descent segment. Using FS ATC will give you runway data *very* late so be aware and try to plan your decent for the worst case scenario i.e. start your descent early enough for the closest runway and shortest procedure.TO do it properly you will need charts. Charts can be found on several places on the internet. www.myairplane.com is a good free resource for US based airport charts.Hope it helps,

Hi Jacob,yes, just select the depart / arrive by hand directly in the fmc.the reason for this is that which one gets used is affected by a number of factors.a) wind direction:( your location at the airport (if departing)c) your course of travel when arrivingfor example: when I fly, I like to use VATSIM. in this case, there are live controllers to talk to who try and operate as near to real as possible.they take into account wind factors, and, which gate you might be at, if there are multiple runways to choose from.they also take into consideration the amount of traffic that might also be at the airport.so: it's not really practical to store all of these variables as variations on a single route that you can then choose from prior to departure, particularly as you don't know what the conditions will be like when arriving.the best thing to do is just to ask which approach to select as early as possible. I suspect they might also use the 2nd flight plan to pre-set the most likely alternative, so that they can just switch to the other plan if that turns out to be the go.did you manage to get everything installed and running smoothly with Vista x64?regards,peter.