Sign in to follow this  
victorlima01

Shopping for a good new video card, please advise!

the 8800gt seems to perform quite well with FSX, i find that with the exception of water effects i show no framerate difference between minimum sliders and everything maxed out. with a 2.13ghz cpu and stock aircraft it easily does 45-60fps even at full details/autogen etc, although i use gex which i believe improves performance in that regard by creating less autogen overall.with the pmdg, numbers are much less, 15-35 but clearly limited by my weaker cpu.!! however, the card has a serious downside at the moment !! since the relase of sp2 for fsx and acceleration, there is a known bug with 8-series nvidia cards where fsx will regularly crash to the desktop if you access the menus. there are many threads about this on the nvidia and various flight sim forums and so far it seems like microsoft and nvidia are both blaming eachother for the bug and neither seems interested in fixing it. fsx with sp1 still works well.so with that in mind, unless you are really patient waiting for a driver update, i would exercise caution about the 8800.cheers,-andy crosby

Guest diskus

Sorry If Im going of topic. Thanks for the recc on the video card it looks very reasonable, can you please add a cpu and ram memeory to the recc and Ill be off to build a new system

>the 8800gt seems to perform quite well with FSX, i find that> since the relase of sp2 for fsx and acceleration, there is a>known bug with 8-series nvidia cards where fsx will regularly>crash to the desktop if you access the menus. there are many>threads about this on the nvidia and various flight sim forums>and so far it seems like microsoft and nvidia are both blaming>eachother for the bug and neither seems interested in fixing>it. fsx with sp1 still works well.>Andy, I've been having the same problem with FSX crashing to the desktop, but my video card is nvidia 7800 AGP . Do you think that's the same problems as the 8-series?Kaue.