Sign in to follow this  
Guest Callmecapt

Really weird problem

Guest Callmecapt

I've had the 747 for a while now. Haven't flown it in FSX yet, even though I've had it for about 2 and a half months. However, my issue is in FS9. Flying along, nice long haul route. Approaching the airport. Checklists are completed, ILS frequency tuned, localiser is active, press the LOC button on the panel and that's when my problems happen. The LOC button actually disables my joystick and does not arm the localiser at all. I have to go into the setup menu, enable the joystick again and fly it in manually. Solutions to this would be very welcome.Goran

Guest Callmecapt

Anybody?Anybody at all...??Goran

I might be able to help if I understood the mode you were flying before activating APP... are you flying VNAV or HDG? Once she captures the LOC she will intercept and turn towards the inbound course... is that what is happening? The joystick has a PMDG option to override or not override the AP, check your setting. Sorry, I can't form a picture in my mind of your problem.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Callmecapt

Full autopilot mode. Thrust ref and vnav speed. Vnav and Lnav are both on. ILS is tuned via FMC. Localisor comes alive, I press LOC, and nothing. Joystick disabled and no localisor capture. LOC light is NOT illuminated and the aircraft does NOT capture the glideslope.Goran

I assume VNAV, LNAV and speed are tracking per route, and you have a valid ILS annuciation in the PFD. Does the aircraft fly through the localizer (keep same heading without turning to final course)?When you press LOC button, does it light and does a LOC message appear in white letters in the mode annunciator above the PFD?You won't get GS capture in LOC mode... need APP for that.The mode annunciator window should be telling you what the black boxes are doing... what does it display at each step?Verify you are getting a valid ILS signal - you should have an ident/freq on the PFD in upper left corner.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Callmecapt

Yes, everything is set up perfectly. I check the ILS frequency and make sure it is correct. Once the localiser is alive, I press LOC and the only thing that happens is it disables the joystick. LOC does not illuminate on the MCP and I do not get a LOC indication on the MFD. It keeps flying the same course it was on before I press LOC. Normally, on other aircraft, I press LOC and it tracks the localiser until I am established on the glideslope, then I press APP and it follows the glideslope all the way down until I turn the AP off and AT off so I can do a completely manual landing. I check assignments and nothing is point to disable joystick when I press LOC. It's a big mystery. If you like, I can post a small series of screenshots showing the steps I take. Goran