Sign in to follow this  
strider

So...the NG737 2D panel is "daylight only"?

Where's the overhead or fluorescent lighting so one can see what they are doing? Only in the VC? Huh, I NEVER fly VC. At night, while doing pre-flights, it's impossible to see the panel accurately. Sure, it's fine once all the switchology is done and your cruising along at FL360 but it's useless otherwise. Has any brilliant soul come up with a fix for this silliness or is my PMDG 737 only good in daylight hours? If that's the case...where do I apply for my 2D users discount? If it can only be safely flown 12 hours a day I should get 50% back...no? Sheesh!

No, I've got that already...THIS is how you illuminate a panel at night...and you can turn it off after your at cruise. If Dreamfleet and Captain Sim and LevelD can do it...why can't PMDG??http://users.frii.com/viciii3/727_night_panel.jpg Nice, bright overhead lighting for those 2nd class citizens who can't stand a VC. Yes...I know the PMDG 2D lighting is supposed to reflect a real flight deck...why then do the VC'ers get an overhead light? To illuminate the shadows during daylight is the standard PMDG response. How about illuminating the 2D panel at night so we can see what the heck we are doing? Answer: Because we don't really care about the minority who fly 2D panels, is my guess. If they can't fix this in my 737-6,7,8,900 why would I bother buying the 747 and MD-11. 2 purchases I WAS looking forward too...not so much now. Vic

I can fly the PMDG 737 fine at night - no problems reading anything or finding anything. Perhaps you need to turn the brightness on your monitor up a little?

personally I don't like those floodlights, and I believe mose pilots will turn them off to prevent loosing night vision, using them only to look at charts and checklists.So not having the panel brightly lit is a good thing!

I only ever fly the 2D panel and have no lighting problems at all so I must be missing something here. A screenshot of this "problem" might help us understand a little better what this is about.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

The switch you are looking for is on the overhead panel. Switch is "Panel Brt or Dim" in centre of OH (I think - not at sim computer at the moment)Bill

>The switch you are looking for is on the overhead panel.>Switch is "Panel Brt or Dim" in centre of OH (I think - not at>sim computer at the moment)>Bill Exactly my point, Bill. It only works in VC! Here's what the VC overhead lighting looks like. Compare that to the picture of the 2D PMDG panel posted by Mike Roth, above...it's like Night vs Day!! Why can't 2D users have this kind of illumination in the PMDG 737?? Why are we relegated to 2nd class? Did I pay less for my add-on than VC users? No. Is there a reason this can't be corrected for 2D users? No. As previously mentioned...if the other payware makers can do it (I won't even mention all the freeware that can do it!)...why can't PMDG fix this glitch in an otherwise fine piece of payware?http://users.frii.com/viciii3/737_VC_night.jpg

It works on the 2D panel also. Trying to post you a photo.Bill

Now I am frustrated. Have the photo with the 2D cockpit lit up a lovely golden brown!!! and I can't get it posted here.I never have taken any screenshots before so just trying by print screen - says file is too big.Bill

Bill- AVSIM won't allow a file bigger than 150 KB. Also must be JPEG.When you save the shot in My Pictures, use SAVE AS and click on the dropdown for JPEG.To be sure, place the arrow on the corner of a pic in MY PICS- should show size and type.If yours is a single mon rig this should work. With my triple mon setup I have a further few steps to reduce to the 150KB limit- but that's another story!Alex ReidPS you mention "Golden Brown"- you are referring to the PMDG 737? not 747?

AlexYes the PMDG 737. I have a dual monitor set-up and that is what is causing the preoblem with the pic sizeBill

Bill- here's how I get around AVSIM pic/file size with my triple mons.In My Pictures- Right click on the pic you wish to reduce file size.On the resulting popup, put the cursor on "Send To". On the next popup, click "Mail Recipient" which brings up another popup. Click on "Show more options" in the lower left corner. Then click on "Medium(fits 800 by 600 window)"- then click OK. This creates an Email form with your pic set up as a reduced attachment. Drag this attachment line back to My Pictures and you will create a pic that AVSIM will accept.Be aware that you will likely lose the original high res pic- it gets replaced.Sounds complex but using your extra monitor, it really is easy once you've done it a couple of times.Hope this helps- looking forward to seeing your pic.Alex ReidPS Always drag a document/page back to main mon from a secondary before closing it out. Otherwise next time you want it, it will reopen on the secondary- an alarming mysterious disappearance if the secondary mon happens to switched off at that time! Finally- to our non multi mon viewers- double/triple monitors make document/text/correspondence chores sooooo easy!!!!! just like having a very large executive style desk!

Great! How did you get Brown- is it airline specific? Does your dome light switch work?Alex Reid