Sign in to follow this  
Guest PLWESTCOTT

picture freezing

Guest PLWESTCOTT

hi and good afternoon all,I purchased the pmdg 6/700 yesterday and every 3/4 seconds my mouse freezes for 3/4 seconds, and i get a massive frame drop. ive posted in another forum and was advised to ask here, and since then ive noticed its only after ive undocked a panel to move to another monitor,any advice would be much appreciated.regardspaul.

Paul- I'm running triple views/triple monitors. I don't get mouse freezes BUT there is a frame rate drop when the mouse arrow is on mons 2 or 3. FPS restores OK when cursor disappears after 5 seconds- but as a routine, I always move the cursor back to main mon after doing a setting on the secondaries.You might try reducing Hardware Acceleration on your secondary mon(s).Reducing this slider 2 notches (no more/no less) for the secondary monitor(s) ONLY, "disables cursor accelerations---". Go to- ControlPanel/Display/Settings/Advanced/Troubleshoot. (don't forget to "APPLY")Solved serious stutter problems for me. (AMD 1.8,GeForceFX5200 GPU's)Alex Reid

Guest PLWESTCOTT

thanks alex, i will give it a go just now and report back my findings, my hardware acceleration was at max, so ive reduced it two notches like you said, regardspaul

Guest PLWESTCOTT

ok, thats sorted it a little for me, it still gets a little sticky though, but is much better, many thanks for your help alex.regards

Another Quirk that might help- The secondary monitors appear to affect FPS depending on how much is loaded on them. For example-1. Overhead and Com panels really knock down FPS while they are open. I call them up only when needed(or hide them behind other popups).2. The vertical height of views LFwd or RFwd affects FPS. Less height= less neg. impact on FPS. I generally set them up to align with the main panel glare shield- sometimes view LFwd is a wee bit lower to simulate the real side window.3. The secondary mon on the PCI card causes FPS drops when used for popups. I restrict this mon to a single view (LFwd).4. Some Popups have no apparent effect on FPS- an example being the PMDG 747 second FMC/CDU. Can be quite handy having 2 different pages displayed in a high stress workload. Hope this helps.Alex Reid

Guest PLWESTCOTT

thanks alex,ok, thanks for your advice again, ive got to admit i dont notice any peerformance drop whatsoever (normally) when i drag undocked panels(etc) across to the other monitor, but things are a little strange, it seems as if the problem is erratic, and regardless of what else is running(in the background or not,) everything is working ok now, except for the occasional time i get a half inch bar of distorted picture at the bottom of the screen and my tab bar dissappearing up the top( i have to run in windows mode otherwise i cant use my second monitor) any help on this issue would be appreciated......thanks again,regards paul

Paul- yes I too run in Window mode- never been able to get Full Screen to work properly- usually end up rebooting FS9.I wonder if hiding the Task bar at the bottom might help/solve the "distorted bar" problem? > Control Panel/Task Bar & Start Menu- tick the box: "auto hide the task bar". To show it, just drop cursor to bottom of screen.I also recommend hiding the Menu Bar- right click on mouse- tick Hide Menu Bar. To show it, key Alt.A cosmetic improvement that works wonders is to change the colour of Title Bars from the horrible MS blue. I use dark gray with green lettering-similar to the Boeing 747 FMC/CDU colours and the title bars are almost unnoticeable: Controlpanel/Display/Appearance/Advanced Appearance/select Title Bars in drop down menu, then set colours.Finally, I set desktop colour to a dark gray also: Control Panel/Display/Desktop and set Background = None.Hope these help.Alex Reid

Guest PLWESTCOTT

many thanks again alex for your reply, if/when it happens again ill will post a screenie, your reccomendations have been noted and will probably help at a later date as it is useful info. I dont have my task bar at the bottom of my second monitor(the one i use to fly on) unless it is still a picture crash from the taskbar on my main monitor i cant see that being the cause of my half inch picture crash, but certainly thanks again for your time in responding sir.regards.paul

Paul- maybe unrelated, but on occasion I've had some quirks with the task bar appearing on other mons- garbled, sometimes on side edges. Answer was to grab it with the cursor and drag to bottom of main monitor.Alex Reid

Guest PLWESTCOTT

thanks for the heads up on that one alex, actually its been quality today, last nite i turned my hardware acc back up full because it seemed dodgy(????). I did have a small problem with active cam when i panned round on spot view but thats for another time ;) and my pc is erratic at the best of times.many thanks again alexregardspaul