Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

PMDG 747 off the the maint hanger - engineer needed

Just completed a flight in real time from Johannesburg to Perth Australia. 9.6 hours in the 747-400X. I programmed in the flight plan as used by South African Airways on this route. Some waypoint are 300nm between each other as this flight crosses nothing but 5000nm of water.Although I had an almost perfect 25kt tail wind, the acft kept flying with a slight left wing down tendancy (one or two degrees). Adjusting airelon and rudder trim did not correct this. If I zoomed right in on the nav display, the acft was also not right on the track, just slightly off to one side. Also, as I approached Perth, the autopilot tracking was very poor on the STAR, overshooting turns resulting in "messy" flying (and no, I was not flying too fast). Further to this, when crossing more than one waypoint out in the ocean (co-ordinates programmed into FMC) where a turn of about 5 degrees left was required, I noticed the acft would turn about 10-15 degrees and then have to bank right to correct. Any ideas on why this happens?Also another problem I am experiencing. During longer flights, if I go outside the acft using the "S" view command to look around and then come back into the VC cockpit, all the LCD screens "freeze". The clock continues to tick and everything else in the VC cockpit works i.e. the VC or sim has NOT frozen, just the screens stop updating. To resolve this, I pop into the 2D cockpit and back into the VC again and they are back to normal. Happens almost everytime I go outside. Any thoughts on what the problem is here?Flight was flown in LNAV & VNAV.My PC specs are in my opinion quite decent to not have these problems, assuming they are PC and not software or pilot error??Intel Quad Core CPU running at 2.8Ghz, GTX8800 768MB graphics, 2GB DDR2-800 Corsair XMS2 gaming memory, 22ich LCD monitor, Microsoft Sidewinder FF2 J'stick.Any ideas on the above, I want to do the return flight tonight - muchos gracios!GregH

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Gregh,Sometimes the autopilot on the 744 seems to get corrupt. A reinstall have shown to remedy the problem. You might want to try that.Cheers,

The frozen screens are a known problem, the temporary fix is just as you found. I use Shift+A then A to get back working displays.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks Mats, Dan,Glad to hear I am not the only one that experiences this. Was wondering if it may not be a system memory related problem as I only have 2GB system memory which seems to be the lower end of what is acceptable nowadays. My Graphics cards 768MB should rule the graphics mem out of the equation.GregH

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I'm running 2GB on XP, seems to be plenty... and my graphics capability is far less than yours.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks Dan,You mention this is a "known problem". I guess the folk over at PMDG are aware of it as a bug then? I only fly the pax version with the RR engines, assume it affects all versions?In the PDMG menu inside the sim, there is an optiom for CRT or LCD screens (check box). This would not affect things by any chance?I am guessing you are down south in Texas.GregH

GregH

Yeah, it came up in a thread soon after release and PMDG acknowledged it... means that if/when there is a service pack it may get a fix but for now it's just a minor nuisance once you learn to watch for it and the work around is pretty easy. I think anytime the VC graphics lose focus it happens, I watch for it by glancing at the mileage to the next fix in the upper corner of the ND. If it's not ticking-down I do the Shift+A / A keystrokes and all is back to normal.Pretty far south in Texas; Corpus Christi about 29:30N. Excellent flying down here, most Navy and many other services aviators spend time here too. But, it's windy... avg day is 18-24 kts and 40 kts isn't uncommon. My crosswind technique in a C414 is honed to an art.

Dan Downs KCRP

Appreciate the help! Glad to know it's not my PC thats to blame. Re-installing is never fun especially when online registration, serial codes and the like are involved. I always seem to lose mine no matter how carefully I file them away :-)I never have relished crosswind flying - probably because I never quite feel comfortable facing in a direction I'm not moving in!GregH

GregH