Sign in to follow this  

I can't get Autopilot to land successfully.

Hello,Even after AP captures the ILS frequency and seems to turn the aircraft just right and is gliding down to what seems (to me at least) a perfect landing, it always lands (crashes) the aircraft a few hundred feet short of the runway. This is happening with all the aircraft. Any idea what I'm doing wrong ?

Unless you use an Autoland program or gauge, you have to disable approach mode and tackle the last mile or so of the appproach and landing yourself... Also, forgetting to reset your baro prior to landing can mislead the A/P and cause problems in APR mode. And last, I use alt hold to verify G/S capture. When approaching the G/S from underneath, I enable APR mode. If I'm locked on the loc. and the alt. hold light goes out when intercepting the G/S, I know the APR mode is tracking the G/S. If not...I grab the manual and go through the manual landing drill....!-John

Just to add to John's post. If you are watching the glideslope needle or pipper and you are going below the glideslope, your aircraft speed may not be correct for the flight configuration you've chosen. Try nudging the speed up a little to see if the needle or pipper starts to descend. Your only other choice is to manually fly the approach at a set power setting and vary the aircraft pitch to remain on the glideslope.

Thanks John, I dont know about the other user but you helpped me out. Thanks>Unless you use an Autoland program or gauge, you have to >disable approach mode and tackle the last mile or so of the >appproach and landing yourself... Also, forgetting to reset >your baro prior to landing can mislead the A/P and cause >problems in APR mode. And last, I use alt hold to verify >G/S capture. When approaching the G/S from underneath, I >enable APR mode. If I'm locked on the loc. and the alt. >hold light goes out when intercepting the G/S, I know the >APR mode is tracking the G/S. If not...I grab the manual >and go through the manual landing drill....! >>-John

What I realized over time was that the APP button is only for approaches... I also had plenty of trouble handling some of my landings because it didn't do what I thought it was supposed to. It's not designed to get you on the ground in one peice, just to handle the approach to the runway.Unless you've got an autoland system installed in the aircraft, you've got to handle the last 500-1000' of descent to the ground.

Guest Dominik Mann

Well, to be honest, I usually wait just until the runway threshold disappears under the nose of my plane before I disconnect A/P and A/T - especially if there are severe crosswinds, so that the chance for the wind to throw me off course is smaller (at least in my observation). This translates into a radar altitude of maybe 300 feet...never more than 400. Never failed so far :-) .

Here is some information by Peter McLeland that will help you.http://www.simflight.com/news5/modules.php...article&sid=428 Might want to read that one too:http://www.simflight.com/news5/modules.php...article&sid=429See this video for setting the 737 up at Meigs prior to takeoff so you won't be overloaded with work getting close to KORD.http://www.mtco.com/~rsam/Demo.zipI think I will make one for the in air and actual landing procedure as outlined in Peter's article. If you follow his instruction you will be able to land in just about all weather.BobThe CURRENT WEATHER at my home. (12.9 Miles ESE of KPIA)http://www.crh.noaa.gov/radar/images/DS.p3...klot/latest.gif

Guest BrianC

Bob, would you mind removing that giant radar image from your signature? Many readers will surely be grateful.Thanks!

Nope. ;-) I like it and that is what counts.It is not a bandwidth hog -- only 38K and it is REAL and Current. It is not taking space at AVSIM. Can you say that about the others? Close your eyes or hit page down quickly.(FYI -I have no idea where you live from the clip that you have. From your profile, Buffalo Grove - Illinois. I can't even read the data on the map with my 19" flat screen at 1024X768.)"Up State - down State" problems again! ;-)Have a nice day and Good Luck!BobThe CURRENT WEATHER at my home. (12.9 Miles ESE of KPIA)http://www.crh.noaa.gov/radar/images/DS.p3...klot/latest.gif

Thanks. I'll see if that works for me when I get home today. I usually approach with an alt-hold at around 2000 feet (for an airport at around sea level) and around 5 miles out, I hit the APP button. If I read you correct, the ALT-HOLD should go off by itself when it captures the ILS. My barometer settings are correct. Also, how do I know which aircraft is equipped with Autoland or not ? I am assuming, something like a 777 should be equipped with it. Also, is the autoland controlled by the APP button or do I have to do something else to activate autoland ? thanks for all the replies everyone. Gopal