Sign in to follow this  
NicholasB

An Embarrising question.

Hi Guys,Could someone please elaborate in a bit more detail to me about Vref speeds on approach.particulary at what point should you be at full flaps and the suggested speed according to the FMC.And just to pre-empt anyone who is gonna say "read the manual" i have, but im looking for something substantial.There has to be heaps of forum dwellers here that can explain this for me.Kind regards and thanks in advance,NicholasB

Hi Nicholas, It all depends on what airline you fly for but most expect you to be in full landing config by 1000ft or you must go around. I aim to be fully established shortly after I have captured the glideslope, however if you fly online you may be asked to keep a certain speed till around 4 DME for seperation.Also this post has a little info on speeds http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...45459&mode=fullRob

Rob Prest

Hello Nicholas,Your question is not embarrasing at all, is very relevant and besides even though it's in the manuals there isn't one way to do it. You might see the necessity to modify your technique from time to time.I'll tell you what I usually do, when the GS comes alive and APP is armed, I slow down to a speed where I can have flaps 15, this is before passing the final approach fix (FAF). Around 4NM to the threshold my approach is stabilized with landing flaps (30 or 40). As you might have guessed this is for ILS approaches, I prefer to be a little slower for VOR, NDB or visual approches so I'm not too high at the end.For further information check out www.smartcockpit.com, you will find everything you need.Happy landings

Thanks gentlemen,Thank you for taking the time to post a reply, i appreciate and i will certainly follow up those links you both suggested.Cheers,NicholasB

HI again,I followed up on those links that you both provided. Both a very helpful. Furthermore, the smartcockpit.com website is onestop resource shop!!Anyway for any other forum memebers who may of had a similar question to mine, follow this link to a very easy to understand diagram outlining an ILS appraoch and at what stages the flaps are extended.Again thanks to the members above who posted a reply to my question.here is the link: http://www.smartcockpit.com/pdf/plane/boei.../diagrams/0004/ThanksNicholasB

Indeed sir!Smartcockpit.com publishes profiles for almost every kind of approach and sometimes for more then one operator.This is how I fly an ILS app in B738: Speeds are off course if no ATC instructions for speed.- latest 10nm of arrival: flaps1 (to avoid high energy approach)- Then on llz intercept heading: flaps 5. speed to flaps.- When intercepted, before descending on the glidepath: Flaps15, speed to flaps.- Outer marker, gear down, flaps 30, speed Vref +5 (or more if wind gusting)- go around: flaps 15For dual coupled approaches (CATIII): flaps 40 (of course, correct Vref selected) speed Vref+5. (Normally, you don't have gusting wind during CATIII approaches.)One engine : flaps 15 on final. Go around: flaps 1I don't see why this would be an embarrissing question?! The importance/impact of correct/wrong flap settings is a major parameter for succesfull flying.Best Regards,Bert.