Sign in to follow this  
january

Intercept Course puzzle

Is it possible to set up (in advance) an intercept-radial course for a waypoint that is 2 or more waypoints down the Legs list. ie " --cleared direct ABC, thence to DEF, then fly heading 090 to intercept the 180 radial from GHI ---- " ?Could a clearance such as this be setup prior to takeoff? (either PMDG 737/747 or real world) Have tried a number of times with no success- even after referencing Bulfer's FMC Guide.Alex Reid

Alex,If I understand your description correctly it should be possible. In this case you would like to create a bearing-bearing waypoint. In the FMC it would look lsomething like this if my memory serves me right:DEF090/GHI180 or DEF090/GHI000 depending if the GHI radial is the TO or FROM radial.Bulfer has this explained pretty good in the FMC guide IIRC.Hope it helps,

Hi Mats- Thanks, why didn't I think of that? Good solution! I was mentally side tracked trying to do it with "INTC CRS". Are you confirming that this latter (INTC CRS) method can only be applied to the "next" waypoint? What I was attempting was to setup the intercept course- then add back in the prior waypoints while still retaining the INTC CRS setting.Your approach probably neater!Clearly a case of "old age- one track mind"!Alex Reid CYYJ

Alex,INTC CRS can only be applied to a DIRECT TO waypoint and that is by definition the next waypoint in line."One track mind"... Makes me think of a line in a lyric. "He's got a one track mind, and a two stringed base"Cheers,

Or if you want to use the INTC CRS you can wait unitl DEF. Select HDG SEL to 90 degrees outbound course. WHile on this course you upselect GHI to LSK1 and enter 180 (or 000) as the INTC CRS for the DIR TO. But if you get information way ahead of time I would enter a waypoint-bearing/waypoint-bering fix as I described above.Cheers,

Agreed- many thanks. That was precisely the puzzle- if you have the intercept info ahead of time as in a departure clearance, why wait to load it into the FMC when you may be very busy shortly after T/O? PB/PB solves it neatly. (at 76 the brain develops one track thinking!)Alex Reid

>>Bulfer has this explained pretty good in the FMC guide IIRC.Is this the chapter on the FMC in the 747-400X manual or something else ?Thanks,Zach

zachlog

Zach,No. Check this:www.fmcguide.comProbably the best resource on the boeing FMC available. I can fully recommend the FMC User's Guide B737.Cheers,

I can second that. Bulfer not only gives the technical- each point is is illustrated with an example + sketch + tips. If you are serious about FMC, buy it. You will have to choose 737 vs 747/57/67/77 versions- or better- buy 'em both.After using the 744 version, I'm impressed with how accurately PMDG got it!Alex Reid & not related!