Sign in to follow this  
Guest xone32

Garmin for the 747-400x

Guest xone32

This is just an FYI for those wanting to use the Garmin GPS500 in their 747-400x. You definitely don't need the Garmin for this great addon. But I find it usefull on occasion just as an additional informational resource while flying. I don't have charts and I hate popping out to the map screen for anything.1)you'll need to tweak the panel.cfg's in BOTH the PMDG747-400/Panel folder and the PMDG747-400/Panel.vc folder. Once you've found those two .cfg's BACK THEM UP! Copy em to your desktop, rename them to something like panel_ORIG.cfg and then put em back. 2)Open the panel.cfg in the PMDG747-400/Panel folder with a text editor and scroll through the section under "Window Titles". The last window title listed should be called Window19=INBD FO CRT popup. Below it, add this line:Window21=GPS or if u wanna be flashy you could use Window21=Garmin GPS5003)Now scroll further down the .cfg file to the bottom or if you prefer to just below where the info for "window 20" // Debugger is listed. Now we add the defintion text for the Garmin GPS by adding in the following:[Window21]Background_Color=0,0,0size_mm=456,378window_size=0.5position=8visible=0ident=GPS_PANELzorder=8gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,04)Now Repeat this process in the PMDG747-400/Panel.vc folder. Find that Panel.cfg, BACK IT UP! by renaming it, open it with a text editor and repeat steps 2 and 3.Now when you "unhide" the menu bar while in game the Garmin GPS-500 will be accessible via the views/instrument panel menu at the top of the screen. It will be the last line item of the drop down box. If you named it Window21=GPS in step 2 then the word "GPS" will appear at the bottom of the drop down menu. If you went all flashy and called it Window21=Garmin GPS500 then "Garmin GPS500" will appear there.TimEDIT; included smaller picIMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/xone32/FSX/FSXGarmin-1.jpg[/img]

Nice tip -- Many thanks. I've been sorta looking for a small moving-map display to occasionally assist with geographical awareness. This'll do nicely.One wee item of note: If taken literally, your instructions will not give the intended results until a "[Window21]" is included above "Background_Color=0,0,0".Cheers, Tim.-Jon HoustonHalifax,NS,Canadahttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_pf.jpg

Guest xone32

Thanks for the heads up Jon. Your absolutely right.I wrote it out initially in notepad and then just copied and pasted it into the post. The window 21 in brackets was there in my notepad text, but for some reason when I posted it here the brackets with "Window 21" in them didn't show up.I think I must've selected the wrong text display for the post. I'll edit it above. Thanks again for the keen eye.EDIT: Ok, guess that's not gonna work as the editing time has expired. How tiresome lol.Anyhoo as Jon mentioned, the definition text for the Garmin GPS should read as follows:[Window21]Background_Color=0,0,0size_mm=456,378window_size=0.5position=8visible=0ident=GPS_PANELzorder=8gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0Note the [Window21] above the Background Color line that Jon mentioned.Tim

Gents,Pardon my ignorance...why would you ever want to use a poor immitation of a GPS for navigation purposes in an aircraft which (when introduced) had one of the most advanced navigation suites available...now retrofitted with its own (but independent) GPS receivers.Just my 2 cents...take it or leave it.Best RegardsSteve Bell

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

I agree with you 100% Steve, but I think they want it for the moving map not for navigation. Rob

Rob Prest

Guest xone32

Both you and Rob are correct Steve. No one needs nor should they even bother using the Garmin for any navigational aspect of the 747-400x and as Rob correctly points out, that was never mentioned. Personally I don't use it for the moving map as I can use F12 to see where I am if necessary.But as I said in my first post, I do occasionally use it as "an additional informational resource while flying". I use it in conjunction with the systems already in place on the 400x primarliy to look up certain things like com frequencies (e.g. ATIS) etc. Basically it saves me from having to pause the sim and jump out to the map screen for certain info.CheersTim

>>primarliy to look up certain things like com frequencies (e.g. >>ATIS) etc.This is a big help !>>Basically it saves me from having to pause the sim and jump out to >>the map screen for certain info.Annoys me to no end.ThanksTim

zachlog

I already knew about this adjustment and a few more besides. So I was going to skip the thread and move on. However, I would like to point something out. As a child I had severe Bronchitis and Asthma, now as an adult I have COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulminary Disorder), but the point is I missed a lot of schooling when younger. Lately I have completed a Learn Direct course for the ECDL, Level 1 and 2 City & Guilds Mathematics and currently studying English City & Guilds.My geography was always weak, extremely weak. Using a GPS as a moving map only, with the PMDG 747 and my Level D 767 using its own system for route planning, helps me to see where specific locations exist in the world. This gives me a greater understanding of routes, where countries are in relation to one another, where mountain ranges are, adjoining countries and borders. I`m nearly 49 and still learning, enjoying it immensely in this way too. I am not alone in this, many people have the same needs, so please think outside the box too. Your world is not necessarily everyone else's world, we all see it through different eyes and have a different understanding of concepts and ideas.Reider

Guest xone32

I dislike assumptions Reider especially in a text based forum, but it seems you're a bit offended about something you've read here. If you feel (and I have to make another assumption here so forgive me if I'm incorrect) that those wanting to use the Garmin for the moving map aspect are being denegrated in some way, then I think you may be reading too much into the previous posts. The thread is simply an FYI for those wishing to include the GPS500 in the 747-400x. As to how anyone uses that info (or doesn't use it) is up to him or her. If for some like yourself and Jon the moving map is beneficial for situational/geographical awareness, I think that's great. I personally use it more for the data contained within the unit itself.CheersTim