Sign in to follow this  
por930

32 or 64 bit system with Vista or XP

Hi guys,I am a newbie and recently retired and so looking forward to my journey with the "queen". I have been avidly viewing the various Avsim forums so I apologise if my questions are in the wrong area, but you guys are super experienced with the PMDG 747 x. which I am primarily interested in flying. I have the FX version of the Queen on order.I am building a new system in preparation. Major components maybe? :1GB Radeon HD3870 X2, I'm told better than NVIDIA driver support?QX9650, overclock to about 3.7Vista Home Premium 64-BitPatriot 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2-SDRAM (2x 2GB)using a Dell 24" high def screenThe system will have the usual other stuff!!Questions:What experience does any one have with:Radeon cards for the Queen? the HD3870 X2 seems to be ok?64 bit systems in either XP or Vista so I can access more memory than 2-3 GB. I see where PMDG do not recommend Vista, but apparently XP are not too flash with support for their drivers compared with Vista.So, It would greatly assist me with the above and any other recommendations, if any one can help me with my adventure into the skys with the least hardware frustration.RegardsGeoffps, I have flown flight sim since Bruce Artwick developed the Flight Simulator program beginning in 1977, and purchased every version since. However, the Queen seems to be some thing very special.

Geoff Bryce

Hi Geoff,I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 and have had no issues related to the OS. I turned off UAC to avoid the constant prompts to complete a task. I also installed FSX in its own directory, and actually on its own hard drive (F:FSX). Placing programs in the Program Files directories requires elevated permissions and can cause a host of issues when the program attempts to update or make changes to a file located there.That system looks more than capable. You should have little trouble running the sim. The choice of an ATI card is probably the best move at this juncture as it seems nVidia hasn't really been concerned with making drivers that don't have issues in FSX.Enjoy your retirement.Regards,Jim Karn

Hi Jim,Thanks for the comments. Great idea about creating a drive for FSX to live in. From what I read, Vista seems to place many road blocks waiting for permissions etc for a variety of reasons. It seems most people use the 32 bit system but then paint themselves into a corner for memory access. Maybe 2-3 GB enough, though I would think 4-8GB ideal.Do you find you get much of a frame reduction because of Vista, as PMDG recommend XP? Yes, retirement will be sweet. I'm still in my 50's(just) so, the next 30 years or so are mine. Some of those places I have "flown" to in Flight sim, I will actually visit first hand.Geoff

Geoff Bryce

Hi GeoffI just built a system much like yours. I used the Q6600 OCed to 3.2 with the 3870x2 ATI card and xp. I have been a simmer for almost thirty years--but I still almost fell out of the chair with the FSX performance. You are going to like it. I did not want to fool with Vista at this point--I wanted FSX/PMDG to work perfectly--and they do.Cheers and all the best

Hi Dorn,Thanks for your comments. Did you use the 64 bit system and if so, how did you go with drivers? Sales guys all say Vista 64 bit is better supported than XP, as are the ATI video cards.RegardsGeoff

Geoff Bryce

I already had Vista when PMDG released the 744. I didn't feel like formatting the hard drive to check. There are many here that swear Windows XP is faster. I can't say. I find Vista x64 very stable and have had no problems with it at all. I don't have any exotic hardware and drivers have mostly matured, save the ones from nVidia.I don't think you'll see any issues. If you do. chances are someone already has and will step up to help. Enjoy that system. That, and the early retirement are both enviable pursuits :-)Regards,Jim Karn

GeoffI am using xp 32-bit system---I am very happy with the results. I am a big fan of PMDG Aircraft with additions such as Radar contact. I am a real life pilot and on the sim I enjoy flying Airliners and flying for virtual airlines. My new setup with the Guad core Q6600 pushed to 3.2 Gigs and the addition of 4 Gigs of memory and the ATI 3870x2 Card have made the FSX experience quite exciting. I realize that XP is not as bright and shiny as Vista, but my sim is running very bright and shiny--and that is all I really care about.Cheers

Hi Jim,Thanks for the re-assurance the Vista platform will do the job. I was in two minds to have a dual boot system(XP/Vista)but I think that invites unreliability issues. Still not sure about the new 9800 series cards as against the Radeon cards.This forum is a fantastic source of PMDG knowledge, and the willingness of other subscribers to help others with less knowledge is nice. I look forward to my journey of learning.RegardsGeoff

Geoff Bryce

Hi,I just read a review of the 9800 series om Toms Hardware..... seems they have the hardware but still the drivers aren't up to much.It's also very expensive..... I suggest stick with the ATI.. and go for vistax64... turn off the annoyances such as UAC.... and best of all.. you are future proof!Cheers,PaulPS Only downside I have found of X64 is the Garmin trainer is 16bit and won't run..used in some flight1/dreamfleet models... but RealityXP say they are working on that!

Hi Paul,Thanks for the reply. Yes, Toms Hardware reviews are excellent, and the only one it seems to review FSX. Interesting he says the 9800 seems to be a one off type card and not to rely on it for the long term. I guess, FSX is not so hungry for fast cards as the shoot-em-up games are.I think as long as the processor and memory are sufficient, what ever this really is, should be ok.RegardsGeoff

Geoff Bryce

Guys, with regards to the video cards, anything from an 8880GT on up is faster than anything ATI makes at this point. Including the new 9600GT that's around $150 or less.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi Ryan,Thanks for your reply. I wondered what PMDG have for their standard development machines..egDo you have a set CPU/motherboard/memory/video card/screen when you develop and test code for the various groups? or just "any thing"?Do you standardise on Nvida and ATI or both? if so, which cards?Do you use XP and or Vista? Your preference seems to be XP, but as a "superseded" software, are you trying to get to grips with Vista?Do you use 32 bit for most development and do you also develop with 64 Bit?BTW...when I say "you" I mean PMDG......For many years I was a software developer and we used to keep various teams in identical rigs to standardise code outcomes for team members. We would then release the code to other team members when stabilised to see what their rigs did with it; and so on until beta testing.My thoughts are to build a Asus P5N-T with Nvida 780i MB coupled with a Vista 64 Bit OS, 8GB of RAM, 88/8900 series Nvida, with a Dell 24" 8wfp screen. My logic is to try and as much Nvida equipment in the rig to remove compatibility issues.RegardsGeoff

Geoff Bryce