Sign in to follow this  
zachlog

"Resetting" the FMC

Is it possible in a missed approach type of scenario to re-program the FMC while in flight to land on a different rwy or even a different airport ? I tried doing this by entering some waypoints manually on the LEGS page (Approach Transition), which was empty, with the objective of eventually selecting a new rwy or even a new airport but got "Program Errror". Could not do anything with it and had to exit the flight.Thanks,Zach

zachlog

Try going to the RTE first page and changing destination... the FMC loads the sidstar file for the destination, which establishes runways, approaches etc... trying to select a different airport's runway will require the procedures for that airport to be loaded.It will not let you modify the existing leg, you might have to insert a fix or VOR to fly to before changing destination, depending on where you are in the stored flight plan.I assume you're referring to the 737NG. The 747 has a second flight plan feature that I'm not familiar with.

Dan Downs KCRP

>>I assume you're referring to the 737NGI should have included this in my post....it's the 747-400X.Zach

zachlog

The 747 FMC works the same way as the 737 (regarding this topic) with the additional option of having a second flight plan, which is a feature I've not ventured into yet. Regardless, my recommendation above should work for you.

Dan Downs KCRP

>>you might have to insert a fix or VOR to fly to before changing >>destination, depending on where you are in the stored flight planThis is the technique I had in mind and wanted to try but here is the problem. The flight plan had "finished" and all the waypoints in it had "dropped-off" so essentially I was left with a blank flight plan. At that point, I wanted to try flying to one of the transition waypoints of the STAR (manually enter the VOR) and after that try entering airport information. It is when attempting to enter the transition VOR that I got the "Program Error" and could not do anything after that.Zach

zachlog

Yeah, I've had that happen.I think you're saying you've shot the approach and now you want to goaround and fly the arrival again... I think you should be able to copy the destination through the scratchpad to the origin. Setting a new origin is like a reset. Now you have to copy the origin back to the destination because entering a new origin resets that field. Now you have the same origin, destination, and a blank route and you should be able to put the VOR in there and then select the STAR... I think.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan,This sounds like it has possibilities. I already tried entering the same Origin and Destination in RTE and it accepted it, accepted a VOR (ENE) and STAR (ENE4). I did this while on the ground for a test situation I have setup. I have not tried using it yet in a scenario identical to the one I had the problem. The one thing that makes me suspicious is that when I had tried entering a VOR in RTE, I don't remember seeing the RTE 1 header on the RTE page.....Origin, Destination, Co Route, etc. I don't think it was there, i.e., blank RTE 1..... but I cannot be sure ! I will let you know the results if I can reproduce the situation.Thanks again,Zach

zachlog