Sign in to follow this  
clayton4115

landing below REF

Clayton,Sorry, I didn't know about the flaps not showing during replay bug. If you really want to see if you're greasing your landings, try this aircraft.cfg alteration (if you dare) to the aircraft's contact points for a more realistic setting of the g-force crash tolerances upon landing. You might find it frustrating to land at or less than 300 FPM and stay at VREF.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...mode=full#33623Kim

thanks for that Kim, that will really give me sweating palms on my descent!

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Gerry,in that famous landing at Rand airport, South Africa, where they retire a 747 SP (so not a 744 but still), I believe the VREF used was 115. That's pretty low...

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

115 kts - that is something.Does anyone have a link to a video of the actual landing I wonder?Tom,Yes, I agree. I have just been watching the United 777 DVD where they feature perhaps 20 or so arrivals in the one segment. They all look like greasers to me too.Gerry

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5826331http://www.skypark.org/747Landing.htm"Take-off weight was 183 000 kg and the V1/VR speed was 125 kts. Max thrust was 1.6 EPR but we de-rated to 1.55. We applied nearly max thrust on the brakes and it had acceleration that made the M3 drivers look like they were standing still. We rotated just after intersection Lima, some 3000 ft from the beginning of 03 Left, and climbed away with a body angle of nearly 30

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Landing below Vref is normal.In some cases pilots get a stickshaker warning just before touchdown, which is acceptable too I believe.Trying to touch at Vref is not a good idea.

Guest jumbojock

"Those 4 Rolls Royce engines..."Aren't they P&Ws?jj

I would venture to suggest that real-life greasers are facilitated to some extent by the action of "ground effect" which I do not think we have in the sim. There are of course many excellent RW pilots but they also know how to get Mother Nature to work to their best advantage when landing Jumbo!Jonathan