Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jeffreymg

Great Instrument Approach 747

Guest Jeffreymg

I found this today and its down to the minimums with a 747,great veiwing.http://www.youtube.com/user/SuredT Jeffg

Amazing video :) I never heard the A/T disconnect after they clicked of the autopilot?Rob

Rob Prest

Great video. I would love to see a version of FS that can give us clouds like that. Especially that transition from lovely sunny blue skies above the clouds to miserable grey weather on the ground. Might be waiting a while for MS to get that right though...

Guest SkullxBones

I have set conditions like this before and it simulates fairly well in FSX. Clouds won't be as pretty, smooth on top, but you'll go from sunny at 1500 to zero vis until you break out at 500 in miserable conditions.Assuming airport is at sea level:Under user defined weather/advanced, set only one cloud layer, a Cirrus layer from 500 to 1500 alt, overcast 8/8, I choose rain at max.Then on the visibility tab, you need at least three visibility layers, otherwise you can see the ground from above 1500.Set the bottom visibility layer from 0 to 500 alt at 2 mile visibility. Set the next two layers at minimum visibility. One from 500 to 1000, the top layer from 1000 to 1500.

not bad, still didnt hear the A/T Disconnect though, is it an airline option whether or not to hear the Master Caution when the A/T is disconnected? Or are some 747s like the 737NGs which automatically retard thrust during manual landing?

The 747 wont retard thrust without the A/T engaged. Also I would be very surprised if there was a Company option for a silent A/T disconnect, just sounds dangerous to me. Pilots can fly the approach manual with autothrust on during the approach in the 744 but Boeing and airlines discourage it.Rob

Rob Prest

Great video. I regularly fly the PMDG 747 so will have to set up this approach and weather and have a go at it, :-)

Rob, et al-One thing that is hard to replicate in a desktop sim is the "finger-tip stuff" that goes on.The reason you guys aren't hearing the A/T disconnect is because the fellow flying the airplane is "double clicking" the A/T disconnect switch. By clicking it twice about 1 second apart- you disconnect the autothrottle, but cancel the CAUTION and the aural. (You still get the EICAS message, however.)The same is true for the Autopilot- so I was surprised to hear it on this video when he disconnects.Rob: Your comment regarding "Boeing and Airlines" discouraging the use of A/T on a hand flown approach isn't what is really happening. I found a single mention of this warning in my manuals- and I was told by Boeing, FAA and all four instructors "ignore that- it is leftover text from when people weren't comfortable with A/T."The conventional wisdom- and the performance requirements of the FAA now are to use the automation to reduce pilot workload and increase pilot performance. The A/T certainly helps in this regard.(There is an exception, however... more on that later! LOL)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Thanks for the info Captain :) My info was mainly based on a certain airlines SOP and what my father informed me. They seem to be encouraging there pilots to only use A/T in manual flight if in the climb phase. Also if you could maybe confirm something else for me. He told me a problem that has come about in quite a few occasions is 744 pilots hitting TO/GA by accident instead of A/T disconnect, he mentioned a Cathay incident where they nearly stalled stalled the aircraft.Thanks againRob

Rob Prest

Has anyone downloaded and installed the Almaty scenery for FS9 by Nikita Fomin? Is it any good?

I read an article in AW&ST, probably two years ago, that SWA doesn't allow A/T on approach. The rationale is it keeps the pilot flying in the control loop.. something I appreciate in the C414. Now, this might not make sense in the 744 but in responsive aircraft like the 737 (or C414) I think it makes sense.My own (very limited) experience is while shooting an approach in changing wind conditions, I think I have a better situational awareness when power adjustments are by me... in fact, I prefer hand flying approaches even tho the Chancellor can fly smooth coupled approaches. I don't disagree with automation (I love the Garmins) but inside the FAF I really want to be in the loop.Again, my experience is very limited.

Dan Downs KCRP

So has anyone downloaded and installed it from AVSIM? I'd like to try it, but I'm hesitant. If someone has tried it, can they post a reply with their opinion, maybe some screenshots?Thanks,

Guest jumbojock

If you listen after the autopilot is disconnected, you'll hear two clicks. This is the pilot using either of the A/T disconnect switches outboard of No 1 & 4 thrust levers. The first click disconnects the A/T, the second cancels the subsequent alert and clears the EICAS message .jj