Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

Correct procedure for aborting takeoff

Prior to take off I have FMC set up, arm AutoBrake, AutoThrottle, advance throttles to 70% N1 and press TOGA button to engage TOGA. All is good.Sometime before V1 I elect to abort T/off. What is the correct procedure to follow? If I move my throttles back to idle there is no effect and hitting the brakes also does not stop the engines running at the assigned take off power? I use the CH products yoke and rudder set with included throttle axis on the yoke. Does one need to disarm the autothrottle and then pull back on the levers? What triggers the autobrakes to activate? Also, I think the spoilers should deploy during such an event?Any advice or help with the correct procedure for aborting t/off will be greatly appreciated.GregH

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Ahhhh,When in doubt read the manual.... :-)Thanks Niels.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

OK, I read the manual. I checked the box for Controls Override for the throttle. Can anyone confirm that the spoilers will only deploy during a rejected takeoff if the Auto Brake is set to RTO? My spoilers don't deploy at any speed when the reject is initiated with Autobrake disarmed during a very quick test.

GregH

Close the thrust levers, apply maximum symmetrical reverse (if above 80kts), manually deploy the speedbrakes/spoilers, monitor RTO autobrake functions, apply full manual braking as and when required. Call 80, 60, 40, come to a complete stop on the runway, assess the situation, call ATC and go through the QRH.............;).Remember reverse and spoilers are most effective at initial deployment/high speed- after that they become FOD catchers and bored (intentional spelling for the boards) :).Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Hi Carl,Thank you for this info. I guess there would be no merit in deploying reverse thrust and spoilers if a take off was rejected before reaching 80 knots?One more pressing question on all this though. Reading thru the PMDG manuals (Type Rating Course) it says and I quote " Initiating the reject will cause the spoilers to deploy and the autobrake will engage to bring the airplane to a complete stop"When I initiate the abort by moving the throttles back to idle, the autobrake kicks in but spoilers do not deploy unless I reverse thrust. This happens even if the abort it done well over 80 knots, close to V1. Is this correct or am I doing something wrong causing the spoilers to fail to deploy automatically? My throttle does not have reverse thrust detent, so I have to hit F2 key. Only when I do this, do the spoilers deploy. Also, does reverse thrust alway activate spoilers or only on an abort?GregH

GregH

Guest ColdBear

Greg,Just to add a note to carls respons witch is all correct. There are two scenarios to consider:1) Low speed RTO, GS below 80kts witch is where you would stop for all malfunktions. Doing this part you must disconnect the A/T because it's still in THR REF.2) High speed RTO, GS above 80kts. This is the more serius one and normally you would only stop for an engine failure, fire or a master warning. Doing this stage you shall just retard the thrust lever and bring it into revers(max or idle depending on runway lenght and RTO speed). monitor the autobrakes and steer the aeroplane. Call ATC tell them what your doing and if nessecery(sp?) evacuate on the runway.Hope this helps :-sun1Martin

Pulling the throttles to idle will only activate the autobrakes (RTO). The type rating course has probably glossed over the fine details.Unless someone has changed the rules, I understood that the correct procedure was to apply the speedbrakes manually before using reverse thrust. The speebrakes will auto-deploy if you pull up on the reverse thrust levers, but either aviation regulations or airline procedures would have you pull the speedbrake lever first (manually). As some manuals state, stopping distances are not predicated (based) on the use of reverse thrust. That is, reversers are a luxury, so to speak.Note that the autospeedbrake will drive the speedbrake lever back when you do manually pull the speedbrake lever out of the DN detent (prior to pulling on the reversers).Hope the real pilots will chime in here... ;)Cheers.Q> イアン

As Q so subtly states- I am not type rated in the 746 (although I would like to think that my SEL rating makes me a real pilot ;))- and he is correct to state that manual deployment of the speedbrake ought to come before deploying symetrical reverse. Is easier (quicker) for me to go into reverse and then check for spoiler deployment, but as in all things, I want to keep it "as real as possible" so I shall re-structure my flow.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I am experiencing the same problem as described by the original poster in this thread;"Sometime before V1 I elect to abort T/off. What is the correct procedure to follow? If I move my throttles back to idle there is no effect and hitting the brakes also does not stop the engines running at the assigned take off power? I use the CH products yoke and rudder set with included throttle axis on the yoke. Does one need to disarm the autothrottle and then pull back on the levers? What triggers the autobrakes to activate?"Due to the rather cryptic nature of the initial response to this post - "read the manual" - it is not clear to me exactly what might have been the original poster's problem and whether that is in fact my problem. It would appear, however, that the original poster had failed to check the throttle box of the Controls Override section in the AFDS section of the settings. I have this box checked, yet I still get no throttle retardation when pulling the throttle back to idle and no autobraking. The plane just continues to accelerate and take off. What am I doing wrong? I am experiencing this problem with both the CH Products yoke and pedals and the Saitek yoke and pedals. I am running FSX Acceleration with Windows XP SP3. And I have installed the v2.10 upgrade for the 747.Also, it is not clear to me how one uses the alternative method described in the referenced type course 2. it says to setup a key command for the MCP Abort TO/Discon AT command. However, in FSX there is no such command. Exactly what command, if any, is the FSX counterpart?Thanks, Robert

From Coldbear's reply above - "1) Low speed RTO, GS below 80kts witch is where you would stop for all malfunktions. Doing this part you must disconnect the A/T because it's still in THR REF.2) High speed RTO, GS above 80kts. This is the more serius one and normally you would only stop for an engine failure, fire or a master warning. Doing this stage you shall just retard the thrust lever and bring it into revers(max or idle depending on runway lenght and RTO speed). monitor the autobrakes and steer the aeroplane. Call ATC tell them what your doing and if nessecery(sp?) evacuate on the runway."

Unfortunately, the High speed TRO doesn't work for me. The plane keeps accelerating and takes off.Robert

"What triggers the autobrakes to activate?"The throttles must be brought back to idle when the average wheelspeed* is above 85kts. The real world, the airplane cross-checks this sensed wheelspeed with the IRU groundspeed for validity. There must be no faults with the Autobrake system and your feet must not be pushing on the pedals.*average wheelspeed is defined as the average of the (8) "forward" main gear wheels, with the two highest and two lowest wheelspeeds discarded (just in case you thought it wasn't complicated enough) :)Note that, unlike normal landing autobrakes, if you do push on the pedals, the Autobrake switch will not trip to disarm, but the autobrakes will deactivate... until all the prerequisites for RTO are once again satisfied.At 65kts, the 744 A/T goes into HOLD mode, so it's not really necessary to disarm the A/T (at least in the real world).Cheers.Q> イアン

I'm confused by this response. I'm not applying the brakes. Rather, I'm waiting for the autobrakes to kick in. And they don't - and in the meantime the plane keeps accelerating even though I've reduced the throttles to idle.Robert

What you are doing is correct. I just added this stuff for general interest.Somehow your settings are not being recognised by the sim. If your thrust is not retarding when you are pulling back on your joystick throttle during high speed aborts, then the autobrakes won't work.Sorry, I don't have FSX, so I don't think I can offer much help here.Rgds.Q>