Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

Correct procedure for aborting takeoff

Thanks for the clarification. So I guess the question now is why don't the throttles to to idle when I pull them back?Robert

Guest hangar744

Hi guys,Qavion mentioned something really important. Anybody noticed it?***That is, reversers are a luxury, so to speak.***In other words...RTO executed on dry (non-contaminated) runway, zero slope, 16 (carbon no-fade) brakes servicable, with normal antiskid servicable...reverse thrust has NO effect whatsoever on accelerate-stop distance.regards,delcom

Actually, I hope I didn't give that impression.The stopping distance tables are based on thrust reversers not being available. However, if the reversers are available, they DO help the aircraft to stop.RTO braking has no set deceleration limit (unlike the landing settings 1~Max Auto). If you can stop the aircraft in a shorter time/distance with the aid of reverse thrust, then the brakes will be used for a shorter time (so, in theory, less heat will be generated in the brakes). In fact, some AOM's say that if you are not sure you are going to have enough runway to stop, you should continue to use the reversers even below the recommended stowing speed: Damaging the engines is less important than the aircraft running off the end of the runway.Cheers.Q> Ян

im a little confused hereif you think you dont have enough runway to stop and you are near V1 wouldint it be safer to just takeoff anyway and take the problems in the air rather than comming to a grinding engine reversing speedbrake stop???besides i always thought V1 was the last point ( no matter how long the runway is ) that the brakes can safely stop the plane.after all, thats what happend to this plane:http://www.jetphotos.net/news/index.php?bl...1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Actually, I was considering the cases where you have correctly aborted the takeoff prior to the tabulated/computed V1 speed, but due to, say a failure or some unforseen circumstance, you find the end of the runway closer than you had anticipated ;)Also applies to landings.

Guest hangar744

sorry guys,my previous post contained totally insane information about RTO.***In other words...RTO executed on dry (non-contaminated) runway, zero slope, 16 (carbon no-fade) brakes servicable, with normal antiskid servicable...reverse thrust has NO effect whatsoever on accelerate-stop distance.***Please ignore this, I was gonna write something else. It's just turned out non-sense.regards,delcom

a high speed RTO is a very complicated manuver to accomplish. ill give an example here: youre weight is over 700000LBS and youre V1 speed is around 165KTS.if your barreling down the runway and you get a problem at 140KTS ( and youre already half way down the runway ), that plane is not going to stop in time. even with a non contaminated runway with 0 slope or an uphill slope. it would be safer for you and the plane if you took whatever problem you had into the air.i would rather take my chances at around 140KTS with full flaps out at the runway touchdown zone, than being at 150KTS halfway down the runway.on another note im willing to bet 10:1 odds that the noise the flight crew heard on the aborted takeoff was the freight not being properly secured.

Kevin:With all respect, if you did hear cargo moving- an RTO makes incredible sense- after all, who knows where your C of G would end up- probably somewhere you could not fly! I'm glad the Kalitta crew survived- good job!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

i wasint referring to them i was referring to RTO's in general. they did make the right desision hense thats why i think it was the cargo.