Sign in to follow this  
Jones

PMDG MD-11 Progress Update!

Wijnand,As far as I remember, Swissair picked up their MD-11s directly at the factory in Long Beach, California (KLGB) and flew them to Zurich, Switzerland (LSZH). I can give you more details later.Hope this helps for the moment to plan your delivery flight.Peter Zahner

Wijnand,As promised, un update on how Swissair used to pick up their MD-11s ...During the entire "construction phase" of Swissair's MD-11s, a rather large number of Swissair staff was present at Long Beach, California: a Swissair representative, responsible for all commercial questions, and a team of technicians, who watched the assembly of the aircraft and constantly "double-checked" the quality of the work done by the Douglas-technicians.Before the delivery, a so called "acceptance" was done, in which all technicians and electricians and the technical pilot of Swissair and his cockpit crew were involved. They did a couple of test flights following a very strict "protocol". When all the tests and test flights had been accomplished without any problem, the "brandnew" MD-11 was handed over from Douglas (resp. Boeing) to Swissair.The aircraft was then flown from Long Beach, CA (KLGB) to Zurich, Switzerland (LSZH). In order to "finance" the "delivery" flight, Swissair Los Angeles organised a couple of tons of cargo (i.e. asparagus, strawberries etc.). The cargo was brought to KLGB by truck from Los Angeles Intl. airport (KLAX). Passengers were never carried on these "delivery" flights, as the cabin had not yet been fitted according Swissair standard. After landing in Zurich, the new MD-11 spent another two weeks at the maintenance hangar for a "phase-in", in which, amongst other things, the cabin was "upgraded" to Swissair standard.Knowing this, you might want to take your MD-11 for a test flight across the desert first, before taking it across the Atlantic to the Netherlands ...Happy landing!Peter Zahner

Hello Peter,thank you very much, this is a sight for sore eyes!!I am not sure about the first flight yet. It will be a Martinair or KLM, To Amsterdam or to Fortaleza, Brasil (SBFZ). My brother lives there, and this year he will come to Europe.So, wy not pick him up in style???????Whatever, I always enjoy this time when a new release is in the near future, every day looking for news!! (and then ofcourse, the frustration when you don't get connection because everyone tries to download at the same time!!!!)There is a great video on (I think) YouTube about the last Swissair MD-11 flight.Also I saw ITVV Martinair, it is great.Take care and happy landings,Wijnand (EHBK)

Guest KSTLFF

I can not wait, but I will for a PMDG product.I hope we just dont have to make it Christmas present,.,,,,,,,,

No this will not be possible. Personally I won't miss that feature since the windows won't be opened in normal operations anyway. And since you won't simulate either window cleaning or return flights where the crew stays on board for three hours there's no real need for it.Window opening would be interesting if MSFS could simulate smoke... THEN I would be all with you for this!Until then I say let's make the things more accurate that you DO use while flying... :)Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Guest pilot-joey

What's up with the video's? Should have been there for over a week now..Best regards

>No this will not be possible. Personally I won't miss that>feature since the windows won't be opened in normal operations>anyway. And since you won't simulate either window cleaning or>return flights where the crew stays on board for three hours>there's no real need for it.>Window opening would be interesting if MSFS could simulate>smoke... THEN I would be all with you for this!>>Until then I say let's make the things more accurate that you>DO use while flying... :)>>Regards,>MarkusNo problem. Like I said it was just one of those off the wall questions I was curious about. Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

>No this will not be possible. Personally I won't miss that>feature since the windows won't be opened in normal operations>anyway. And since you won't simulate either window cleaning or>return flights where the crew stays on board for three hours>there's no real need for it.>Window opening would be interesting if MSFS could simulate>smoke... THEN I would be all with you for this!>>Until then I say let's make the things more accurate that you>DO use while flying... :)>>Regards,>MarkusHello Markus,You have a point However since some one brought up the subject of opening What doors on the MD-11 will be able to open like, pilot escape hatch cargo doors cabin door emergency doors which I assume common sense the emergency doors wont actually open but others or some like it Thanks Eric

>You have a point However since some one brought up the subject>of opening What doors on the MD-11 will be able to open like,>pilot escape hatch cargo doors cabin door emergency doors>which I assume common sense the emergency doors wont actually>open but others or some like it Eric,there's no pilot escape hatch on the MD-11, you would leave via the cockpit windows.You'll be able to open all 8 cabin doors plus the three cargo doors.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Sounds Good to me thanks for the imputSignature Rules: 1.) Only one (1) image is allowed2.) That image shall not be larger than 400 x 60 pixels in size3.) The image file shall not be larger than 10 Kbytes in size4.) The image can be animated, but shall not exceed the 10 Kbytes size

Guest pilot-joey

Doesn't my subcription to your youtube account work, OR is there still no new video? Guess the first thing because it was expected nearly 2 weeks ago so anyone got more information? Best regards, Joey Zijdel

Guest klm_md11

We have 1st of May and there are no videos, no information about progress... :> ??Regards

What do you expect? Rob himself has stated that time estimates change always; it's Murphy's law. It is much better to simply ignore the estimates that they are rarely if ever met.

I have to be honest they given a lot more then they really have to. They have shown us a lot and have heightened the anticipation of the aircraft quit a bit I was excited when the announce they would be starting beta testing, and that hopefully it would be rather short but really don