Sign in to follow this  
Guest VICDEL

737 armed with the VNAV on and goes overspeed

Guest VICDEL

Can anyone please help why is it that when I am flying 22,000 or more and am flying armed with the VNAV on sometimes goes overspeed naturally because I am loosing height. The question is what is the correct procedure to adapt in this situation is it the airbrakes and is there an option so that if this happens the a/c will correct itslef in such a situation.The thing is if I am flying with " the realism settings " as hard if this thing happens more than twice it gives as the a/c have been overstressed and so as if it crashed and I have to restart again.Any help on the matter please? Thanks

Sounds as though you do not have autothrottle active... check the annunciator above the PFD, which the left window tells you the thrust mode.She will definitely not overspeed if all is set up as intended.In the event of overspeed, thrust goes to idle and slowly raise the nose. I'm not sure the speed brakes would be my first response. There are normal descents where the FMC may ask for drag, but putting the winds into the descent forecast page may reduce the occurence of these.Also, this forum has a rule that asks we use our real names.

Dan Downs KCRP

Are you trying to descend when this happens ?There are two types of VNAV descent VNAV PATH and VNAV SPEEDVNAV PATH will try to follow a vertical descent path and if you have set the FMC correctly with altitude constraints and correct winds it descends very well. BUT it will not try to keep to any speed limit. If winds are different from what you programmed it may overspeed. It is your job as pilot to use spoilers to stop this, or change the descent profile to V/S or LVL CHG so you slow down or use.....VNAV SPEED. This descends at the speed you tell it to ( like LVL CHG). You will now need to minitor the path to ensure you reach altitude restrictions at the correct altitude.Peter

Peter Schluter