Sign in to follow this  
sshotick

Anyone experiencing the skewed ND - read!

Yo! Will get on this tmrw - in bed now!;-) EDIT: Hey Ryan, is 'skewed ND' going to be the technical term??;)

That's what I'm calling it lol...We had a long discussion about this yesterday and I want you guys to know we're going to look into it, these initial information requests are coming from the programming side of PMDG. We need to try to develop some sort of common thread here between everyone having the problem.We're particularly curious if this could be some odd regional Windows or FSX version issue.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest Oz_Animal

Hi RyanI have resent you the e-mails from my hotmail account and the info requested in this post. Paul also requested some info so I "cc" ed you in that as well.RegardsSteve

Thanks guys, I have the reports and we're looking into it. May have more things for you to try when I hear back from the programmers.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

In both FS9 and FSX I see skewing of the track line at high latitudes, like 80+ degrees north when on polar routes. The track line will suddely just shift to the left and then right up to sometimes 25 degrees. The aricraft then tries to get back on course and so the effect is to weave for hours left, then right. This doesn't seem to happen in real life flights that I can remember. I have to use heading select to stop this. The course still fluctuates all over, but constant heading seems to be a good average. This behavior stops once below 75 degrees North.I of course use True North, but this changes automatically anyways and I don't have any payware scenery or add-ons for over the north pole.Does this behavior fall into the category that you are asking info for?Why does this aircraft do this? Doesn't GPS, which should be free of all the magentic anomalies near the North Pole, drive the FMC and track line and heading? I had hoped this would be better in FSX but nope. The aircraft (747-400X) for me works perfectly when in more normal areas and I do not see nor have I ever seen the kind of thing described in the many posts when in typical flight areas, only when north of 77 degrees.

i7 3770K HT, 8GB RAM, nVidia 980GTX, Win7, P3D 3.4, FSG mesh, UTX, GEX, ST, ASA16/ASCA, NickN optimized

Try this, Set up At KJFK Runway 13R with the 744. Program the FMC with the first waypoint MEALS. Which should be close to Runway heading about 6 miles out. (Magnetic Heading 134-135) If you have this problem you should see the FMC and the ND indicate a a Magnetic heading bearing of 121. Now according to my AFCAD programs FSX Planner, and ADE there is a 14 degree deviation at KJFK. This is bourne out with the 744, The magnetic heading for runway 13R is 135 degrees. When you switch to True heading, the reading is 121. A 14 degree deviation as it should be. So what appears to be happening, while the 744 is indicating correct deviation the actual locations of the NAVAIDS on the ND and the FMC also shifted, by the same amount, accounting for the deviation we are seeing in the ND. I gave Ryan all this info, so hopefully they will find what is causing it. I think though it would help PMDG if those, that say they don't have this problem, do this test, or another fixed location test, to see if they are seeing similar results, or if they truly don't see a problem. If they are not it may help PMDG find out why some are and why some aren't. It seems though, the number of people reporting this problem is growing!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest Oz_Animal

Hi TomThat

Guys,We've tried as hard as we can to replicate this on our test machines here and we've been totally unsuccessful. The magdec.bgl's you guys sent do not cause the problem here for us and are bit for bit identical to the one in the FSX install files. The magnetic deviation information the FMC reads out of that file is somehow being deleted or corrupted - this shouldn't be possible and we're at a loss to explain how it's happening, and only on a tiny subset of user machines at that.This is incredibly hard for us to fix something we can't see happening ourselves. It's going to have to remain an open issue unless we can actually see it occurring in our debugging software. Short of sending your PC halfway across the world to us, I'm not sure how we can do that. We suspect (much like it was with the OOM errors in the past) that there's some very unusual thing going on with your systems somehow. The fact that its a small handful of you guys seeing this out of a large number of customers really points to that.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Now that's disappointing! Ryan, can you post a screenshot sitting at KJFK Runway 13R of the ND display with the Waypoint data on, so we can compare what we are seeing to what you are?Thanks!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Hi guys, some way or another this post ended up in completely the wrong post. My apologies. Here it is, where it's supposed to be.Hello guys,below a brief summary of what I've found out about the magnetic heading anomaly. These issues occured with me over the course of about a year.1. It's not PMDG specific. My Cessna and Wilco also do it. And any aircraft I open after the problem presents.2. It's something with FS itself in my opinion as even the Shift-Z heading is off. Shift-Z heading and pane heading are equal.3. It's on and off (with me). I used to have it a lot in Amsterdam. If I noticed it, I would restart my computer and it would correct itself.4. I was told to delete Amsterdam AFCAD's and the problem seemed to lessen, but didn't fully go away.5. I have recently installed a new magdec.bgl into my FS9 and (knock on wood) haven't had the prblems for 2 weeks now.For your information.....Dell Dimension 9200 2 Gb RAMnVidia 8800 GTSCore 2 duo - E6600 - 2.4 GHzFS9 running too many sceneries, aircraft and merges to mention . All computer settings set to the US and running FS9 english version.Xander

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

Guest Oz_Animal

Hi RyanI fully understand how hard it is and will be to replicate the problem, especially if you are only using the magdec file as we have already determined it couldn't be this as the cause.With the little I have learnt about how your FMC works it would appear the problem lies somewhere else....or does it??I say this because I am continually doing tests and have found that the following occurs.I have uninstalled FSX and all associated software so many times now I recon I could write a book on the way to do it but...back to the point.If I load the 747 at any stage during the process..ie before, during or after fsinn, fsuipc etc etc the problem remains...I have tried over writing the files after the install and changed the order of I believe every combination, and of-course had it as a virgin install as well. There is no difference as to the outcome.I then decided as an experiment to try different "payware aircraft to see what happens. I installed the Level D 767 and she worked fine. I then installed the Airbus package (as rough as it is "You guys should compete with them I tell ya).. Anyway they are fine. I then loaded up the VASFMC and used it on all aircraft and that worked fine...even yours. During all of this I kept going back to your aircraft and tested it and the fault remained.This Leeds me to believe that the way other software address and uses the magdec file is different otherwise the same problem would exist (just using simple logic here nothing else) or, they don't use it at all...I don't know of-course but never the less all the other aircraft work with there own FMC's and others by using an add-on. For info the 747 worked ok also using VasFMC but I suppose that