Sign in to follow this  
Guest jos_zwa

PMDG 747X to much bank-angle

Guest jos_zwa

Dear PMDG developers,I noticed that there is to much bank-angle when i fly at cruise alt. with the 747X. I fly with LNAV and VNAV turned on (FMC flight-plan). Even de bank-angle bug at the MCP is set correct (10 degrees for example), but it still makes fast corners as it is a cessna. I saw some real in-flight video's of 747's, but they turn very slowly. Is this a bug???

Dear Ms/Mr Nameless,Welcome, but please take a moment to read the forum guidelines. You need to sign your posts with your real name. Thank you.The bank angle knob will only affect MCP lateral modes i.e. HDG CH. For lateral modes with information from the FMC i.e. LNAV, the FMC will dictate the bank angle depending on speed, altitude, configuration, etc. All this as per real world spec's.This is not a known to be causing any problems and neither of the 747 drivers who fly these things for a living, and is part of the PMDG adviser panel, has had any complaints about the rate of turn.Hope it helps,

Guest jumbojock

Agreed. The rate of turn of the default 744 is far too slow; PMDG's flight model is far more realistic. Just as an aside, you haven't hit R (for flight sim rate) and plus to increase the sim speed? Had to ask.Another thing, bank angle is automatically restricted to 15 degrees with flaps selected above Flap 1 and speed below Vref + 100. Assuming PMDG models this, try flying around that configuration and speed and see if you get the same thing.David "jumbojock" Robertson

Yeah David's right, our real 744 pilot testers stressed to us how responsive and quick the plane actually is as far as roll rate and stuff. Just because it's a big plane doesn't mean it reacts slow - it's just a big Cessna basically!

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

The reason why the plane needs such a high bank angle is to stay within the safe area of your flightplan route. (5nm left and right from your route I think)Leaving your corridor without permission is basically a violation.If you are flying LNAV, the plane wants to stay within specs.If you are flying another roll mode, the responsability is yours, but most of the time you would be flying vectors at that time.Best Regards,Bert Van Bulck

The high jet routes, in the US, have a beveled zone that increases the width of the airway at changes in heading. They also presume a half-standard rate turn (1.5 deg/sec). Bank angle for a given rate of turn increases as the tangent of the airspeed, higher speeds require much higher bank angles. I've not noticed the Queen being as hard over in the high altitude/high speed turns as the 737NG, but didn't think much of it until this thread.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest jos_zwa

oke guys! thanks for all your answers! Greetz,Jos Zwaneveld