Sign in to follow this  
Guest Takechan

Question regarding autoland3

Guest jumbojock

I hope you managed at least 5 hours in the bunk!!!David "jumbojock" Robertson

Some things I saw on the screenshot: 1) your missed approach altitude is not set.When executing a missed approach, you might have an unpleasent expierence when selecting another pitch mode from VNAV.Normally I think you set the missed appraoch altitude when the glidepath becomes alive.2) your minima are set 400 BARO. For a CAT III autoland I would select radio instead of BARO and the decision altitude would be something like 50'. --> Although for B747, deciding at 50, I think you may expect to touch the RWY during go-around, which is for some operators perfectly acceptable. (I know this for a fact from some operator flying Airbus 320. So if anyone has info about 747, please correct me!)Best Regards,Bert.

Guest Takechan

Hi BertYeah there were more than a few errors on that screenshot :'( When I use AUTOLAND when i'm lined up and i've caugt the LOC so I can engage the three CMD, I set the missed approach altitude. I need to read up on the BARO / RADIO setting as I think i've missed them when going through the tutorials. I still haven't gone through the entire operating manual... yet!Thanks.On a side note, this is what i'm thinking on doing for my next flight (with regards to planning the fixes etc.), so I just want some input if anyone want to provide it:1) Use RouteFinder to generate a route between my departure airport and arrival airport.2) Use the relevant SID (I'm flying offline or with no ATC) and check that the FMC lists the correct altitude ranges. 3) When closing in on my destination, dig up the relevant STAR and see if my last fix generated from RouteFinder is on there. I know people earlier mentioned that SID/STAR are used depending on weather and active runways, but as i'll be alone or with no ATC i'll ignore this part. I'm really interested in putting the B744 through the correct "places". I've come a bit further than my one fix routes lol - Thanks for all the advice and help guys!- Takenobu Tou

Glad you enjoyed it.. it's very rewarding when you fly long haul and do a good job.. I must admit now I never do mine real time and usually (using Radar Contact) give comms to the co-pilot for the flight.. only come back to configure the fuel system or conduct step climbs...I would like to stress though, I wrote this a long time ago now, and not everything is accurate.. Like I said my plan is to update this quite significantly at some point and suppliment it with a website I think.. This should improve on it..But even as it stands.. it gives you a good insight into the systems and various functions of the aircraft... And if you now think that you could do all this without much trouble on your own.. you can go on to learn about the other added complexities..EnjoyCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Guest ColdBear

Bert,The DA is irrelevant doing a Cat IIIb approach since it will be 0.Also noted in the screen shot, beside landing on the wrong runway(should be 04L), is that the flaps should be either 25 or 30.Martin

Nice to hear that next time you will fly with a route, SID and STAR.But: flying with no ATC implies that you have to execute a published (or standard if you like) approach procedure. You can find these procedures at IAC's (Instrument Approach Charts) at several online flying organisations. (as well as much more realistic routes then what RouteFinder will give you)That's where -for me anyway- the fun starts!After that you can start executing LLZ, VOR/DME, NDB and circling approaches. Hours of fun to come :)Flying a CATIIIb approach doesn't mean you have no Decision Height. It's a possibility. The operator defines what to use as DH. Anyway, getting a minimums warning at 50' or so is always a good idea I think.Best Regards,Bert.

Guest Takechan

Hi BertYeah lately i've been using RouteFinder together with SID and STAR. I then (as i've gone through in the long haul tutorial) input/verify the correct approach procedure by looking at the IAP and comparing it with what the FMC has input. I've even gone as far as flying it in manually after it's lined up with the runway :D Although the passengers might not have been to happy if it had been in a real B744 it didn't take any damage. I think i'll try to print out some other non-ILS charts and see if I can make the B744 do what I want :D

Guest ColdBear

Bert,According to my JAR OPS ALL WEATHER OPS: Low visibility procedures then a CAT IIIa is a precision approach with a DH lower than 100ft; RVR not less than 200mCAT IIIb same but with a DH lower than 50ft or No DH and RVR lower than 200m but not lower than 75m!Also with all this procedures flying comes the DOC 8168 and some problems as well. Like entry and reversal (30 degrees) procedures. Also not the minimum sector altitudes, Never ever decend below these!happy flying,Martin

Guest Takechan

So - *hint* *hint* I take it you guys are flying the PMDG 747-400X, what are you using as realism settings :D? If I can't find an official paper on how to set them, I trust you guys know what they should be heh

>Bert,>>According to my JAR OPS ALL WEATHER OPS: Low visibility>procedures then a CAT IIIa is a precision approach with a DH>lower than 100ft; RVR not less than 200m>CAT IIIb same but with a DH lower than 50ft or No DH and RVR>lower than 200m but not lower than 75m!>>Also with all this procedures flying comes the DOC 8168 and>some problems as well. Like entry and reversal (30 degrees)>procedures. Also not the minimum sector altitudes, Never ever>decend below these!>>happy flying,>>MartinHi Martin,That answer I like more then saying that there is no DH for CATIIIb approaches what so ever :)About the approaches: correct! when your track towards the Initial approach fix is maximum +/- 30

Guest ColdBear

Bert,Actually the minimum route altitudes is usually lower than the MSA, because the MSA is a general minimum 25nm from either IAF or another Fix, but the minimum route altitudes is specific for the route flown.Regarding the 30 degrees then I had problems with that when doing a VOR approach in ESMS, because we had to do manouvring space which ATC haded so we usually just get vectors.Martin

--> Although for B747, deciding at 50, I think you may expect to touch the RWY during go-around, which is for some operators perfectly acceptable. (I know this for a fact from some operator flying Airbus 320. So if anyone has info about 747, please correct me!)Same thing for the 744Rob

Rob Prest

Guest ColdBear

Hello,I have the same realism settings as you exept I haven't got autorudder and g effects (I don't pull G in a 744 :D ) Happy flying,Martin

Did you turn off one of your IRS's by mistake? (i.e. a key combination tripped one off?)Cheers.Q>