Sign in to follow this  
flyingAtoB

FMC flightplans from fsbuild or websites, will it follow to runways

I guess this could also be posted in other areas of the forum, but the PMDG bit thinks it should be here.Hi, I'm a learner to fmc programming, have just finished part2 of PMDG training. I'm eager to try and replicate a flight from Heathrow EGLL to Dublin EIDW using pmdg 744x for fsx.The route I know is not realistic for a 744, as it does not make such a short journey, i'm really looking for the principles of the flightplan from fsbuild or an online flightplanner.I get routes like EGLL-CPT3G.CPT-UG1-STU-UR14-VATRY-R14-KLY-EIDW. which I believe have the SID & STAR added.If I add this co-route to FMC will it follow this flighplan from take-off I'll manually engage autopilot at 500agl with lnav & vnav on then hope it follows the route all the way to runway 28 at Dublin?so far it doesn't seem to get me to the runway at Dublin.Do i have to add the ILS & runway to EIDW 28 somewhere en-route?What I guess I'm looking for is a totally complete flightplan, that i can input via co-route that will do the whole flight including getting right onto the runway at Dub, including all the altitudes/speeds.An actual airline BA or Aer Lingus route would be fantasticI could then examine & disseminate the route to fill in the obvious gaps I have flying.Regards John

CPT3G is a SID from EGLL to the first fix CPT but there is not a STAR in the route for EIDW. The final fix is KLY, so you will not have a flightplan that takes you to the runway. If you had a STAR it may or may not take you to the approach to the runway, they sometimes do but most of the time there is an ATC vector required to intercept final course. Regardless, when you program the FMC, the normal method I use is to enter the origin and departure codes then go to the DEP/ARR page and select the departure procedure and runway, then enter the route from the last fix in the procedure to the first fix of the STAR (if there is one), then go back to the arrival page and select the STAR and approach.A complete flight plan does not include an approach, which you may enter before flight, but usually is entered after nearing your destination and confirming arrival procedures in use.I use FSBuild2 to create flight plans, which then is capable of exporting in both msfs and pmdg formats. I use the msfs format to program my weather (ActiveSky) for the trip, but this is optional.It's realy easy to get the actual flight plans used in the US (flightaware.com) but UK flights are a mystery to me... sorry I can't be more help here.If you are just learning to program the FMC, my advice is to keep it simple. A really good route is one that uses RNAV departure and arrival procedures like KDFW - KATL (SOLDO2 MEI HONIE5), which is just a departure to a VOR to an arrival flown at anything from FL310-410... easy to program and you can learn how to connect the dots before trying to fill in all the colors.Hope this helps.

Dan Downs KCRP

Just to add another thought or two to Dan's excellent response, I usually fire up ActiveSky and let it get the most recent or planned historic weather data. Then I check the winds for both my departure and arrival for the general wind direction and speed, remembering that the arrival weather can and usually does change by the time you fly a typical 744 route. I then use FSBuild2 to investigate the appropriate departure SIDS and the most common transition fix. I do the same for the STAR, noting the transition fix to most appropriate arrival STAR. Then I build a FP to connect the two transition fixes. But I also note what other STARS are available in case the winds change on me while in enroute. Then I export my FP, without the SID & STAR in the route to MSFS and PMDG, then using the FMC to add them in as Dan says, based on ATC instructions once in the sim.Good luck...Regards,

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest JacobKoziarz

Use simroutes.com. It's free !!! Go to generate flight plan, enter ICAO origin, press enter, enter ICAO destination, press enter and voila - you got it, export as pmdg rte to FLIGHTPLANS and enter that as co-route in FMC. Then go to DEP/ARR in FMC, enter runways for departure and destination and you're done - full AUTOLAND all the way to the runway of your choice !!!Enjoy...