Sign in to follow this  
jobepilot

LNAV VNAV SPD IDLE !!!??

HiBeen using the 747 now its working and its fantastic. On the Virgin 747-400 DVD I have (itvv) I noticed the PFD changes from SPD or THR ref to Idle.So my question, I have looked through the manual but couldnt find Idle in it. I am not sure if I am missing something on the FMC on descent, I have been using VNAV on approach, and descent, and only get Vnav spd or the ref.Is idle built into PMDG 747??Rgds

Normaly goes to IDLE just before THR HOLD kicks in on descent.Rob

Rob Prest

>So my question, I have looked through the manual but couldnt>find Idle in it. It is in the manual, look under the whole automatic flight and autopilot flight director system. IDLE is one of the autothrottle modes. Also 747's Type Rating Course lesson 4 has a lot of information on the subject of VNAV descents including the IDLE/HOLD autothrottle mode.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

R ok, many thanks for that Michael...What a great sim, I love flying that beast

Yeah got it thanks for that, will do the Lessons to learn more, is there any other tests etc for this, they are talking about using FLCH from the little I read, but I was refering to VNAV, I downloaded the Type ratings from PMDG. But do you guys test yourselves with any other type course ??I have done a few hours lately from EGLL to KSFO, been across and back now twenty times :-) as it is in the Itvv DVD, and I have learnt loads from watching Cpt Alan Carter, I might buy that Cathay 747 400 DVD too. The problem with this, the more you learn the more you got to know, I have been spending ages watching the DVD and reading about it. Great simulation, short of getting in the real plane and flying it. Rgds

>have learnt loads from watching Cpt Alan Carter, I might buy>that Cathay 747 400 DVD too. If you watched this DVD you should have noticed how many times their descent to KSFO was interrupted by ATC - they had to follow new instructions, fly shortcuts, go waypoint direct, hold altitude, vector for traffic, etc. You can easily test yourself if you can do the same. You can either go on some rich ATC environment (VATSIM, Radar Contact, etc.) or you can even issue made-up ATC instructions to yourself and see if you have total control over the aircraft.Also I strongly recommend learning how to do touch&goes in the Queen flying completely manually. Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

Ok thanks. I do have RC and never get to fly STAR, its always down to ATC, which is good. many thanks, is VATSIM stand alone, or is it network/internet based only??

>many thanks, is VATSIM stand alone, or is it network/internet based only?? Vatsim is about as close as you'll get to 'real' ATC since it is a real person on his own PC giving you the instructions and the traffic around you are real people on their own PCs talking to the same controller! So, no it isn't stand alone at all, it is internet based and a live, real time, community of people flying and controlling all over the world. It is highly addictive to fly online and once people make the step to Vatsim they rarely return to the sterile world of offline flying since every flight is a whole new experience and never the same twice.Hop over to http://www.vatsim.net and check it out. There are 10's of thousands of us doing it and (next to the PMDG of course) is the very best add-on I ever got for Flight Simulator! I'm one of Vatsim-UK's New PIlot Mentors and what we do is hold people's hands through the transition from offline to online flying, one of the joys of my job is hearing the astonishment as to how incredible the experience is.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

Yep 99% of my flying is Vatsim, I couldn't go back to offline :)Rob

Rob Prest

Hi,IDLE is an autothrottle mode.. It's the mode that reduces the throttles to IDLE (obviously) just before the descent is started.. If you watch the PFD just before the descent begins you'll notice the IDLE mode...Also.. advice.. don't buy the Cathay DVD.. buy the OASIS 747 DVD.. you'll get a lot more out of that one.. The Cathay DVD is an order of magnitude simpler than the Virgin DVD..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Hi Paul,RC does let you fly SIDs & STARs if you like. You're always welcome to pop into the RC forum here at avsim and we can go from there.There is also an extensive section in the RC maunal all about it too ;)Subin.

>Hi Paul,>>RC does let you fly SIDs & STARs if you like. You're always>welcome to pop into the RC forum here at avsim and we can go>from there.>>There is also an extensive section in the RC maunal all about>it too ;)>>Subin.OK many thanks, I havent read too much of the manual, been reading about the AC to much :-) Will look it upRgds

Ok thanks billwill check that out right now