Sign in to follow this  
downscc

Sloppy SLOP Procedure

I flew a NATS track last night KJFK-EGLL and while enroute I read the AOM on Offset, and googled NATS SLOP to give it a try. Goodness! The 747X banked 30-deg to turn into a 2 nm offset.Now I only use HDG SEL to change track, along with using VS during step climbs.What do the real world systems do? Are they really designed to respond so abruptly?

Dan Downs KCRP

I think with carts in the isle,They use heading select and V/S.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Dan:It's nice to have a chance to give something back to the author of our beloved SID/STARs :)- thanks!Yes, for SLOP, leave LNAV for HED SEL, build your SLOP offset, then gradually turn a few degrees towards; once established, turn onto correct heading and then go back into LNAV. Don't forget to delete the SLOP after leaving the NAT or at least well before Class B airspace.For step climbs get ready ahead of the step NOW, dial in the new altitude, select VS at 0000 and then slowly increase VS- I generally never climb faster than 400fpm (just a personal preference). Decrease the climb rate as gently as you increased it and the passengers in first will never even know you changed altitude ;). Re-establish VNAV and if you are in VNAV ALT, a press of the MCP altitude knob will establish VNAV PATH.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP2 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest SkullxBones

Or you could turn down the bank angle limiter

The limiter only limits HDG modes, doesn't limit LNAV..I found 400 fpm works pretty good for the step climbs, I took the offset out before leaving the NATS track by simply hitting the 1LSB on LEGS twice (the top line is the next fix, in this case the one leaving the NATS) then EXEC while on HDG SEL, adjust manually then engage VNAV... no one noticed.I still wonder if this is how the real system works?While I'm still cleaning up the mess the cabin crew left me, I was also wondering if the holding patterns at EGLL's STARS (such as OCK) are usually not flown or usually are flown??

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan:Perhaps Steve or Alex will chime in. As far as the holds, EGLL gets busy enough where they are utilized- probably much more often than here in the US. Again, RW operators would be able to advise more definitively. Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP2 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Dan,Holding for EGLL/EGKK is simply a matter of how busy the traffic is, I have never been instructed to hold at a fix inbound to EGLL in over 600hrs of online flying...but there will always be a first LOL!!That may be sooner than I think as I am currently on the way back to LHR from JFK (eta 2032z).As for the SLOP proceedure...there is a good example of RW operation in the Just Planes Oasis Hongkong DVD...on the EGKK-VHHH sector a SLOP is used buy the crew in Russian airspace...they go into HDG SEL mode prior to entering the offset then steer on to the new track before re-engaging LNAV.As for step climbs I to use V/S in the method Carl has descibed, it makes for a much more gentle & controlled climb to the new altitude.How did you find the SID/STAR file for EGLL??Kind RegardsSteve Bell

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

During the day, you'd be pretty lucky to get into Heathrow without going round the hold at least once or twice. During busy periods, delays can quickly shoot up to 20 minutes in the hold. I'm sure there's something in the UK AIP that suggests operators load more holding fuel for Heathrow inbounds because of the likelihood of longer than normal delays.

Steve: I've sent you an email at 'stephenbell@sky.com' with comments on the EGLL SIDSTARs... intended to be constructive.Thanks, Phil, I assumed the holds might be more common than in the US where the FAA has a pretty comprehensive flow control system in place. I've seen tracks at flightaware getting held, especially into that poorly designed NY area (just politics to blame) but the busiest places like KATL and KORD have 'em lined up in sequence 500 nm from the terminal airspace. Poor Heathrow and it's two runways and heavies coming at them from all over the globe.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hello,Maybe a stupid question but what is "SLOP" or "SLOP-procedures"?I know what NAT-tracks are, but SLOP is new for me:-roll

me 2

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

SLOP= Strategic Lateral Offset Procedures.The idea that if aircraft on an airway offset their track by flying 1-2 miles right of the airway's center- they would still be well within the 10 mile airway corridor, but to the right of any aircraft passing in the opposite direction. Obviously if that aircraft is using SLOP as well, the safety margin is even greater.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP2 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Hi guys!Strategic Lateral Offset Procedure described in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Lat...ffset_ProcedureCheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Hi everyone,Just a question about SLOPs - when using Carl's example about RNP10, how does one guarantee that the aircraft is not 9nm from where it thinks it is, and if the pilot then enters a 2nm offset, the aircraft's actual position would then exceed the 10nm limit from the true airway centerline and be at 11nm from the centreline instead?In other word, isn't the FMC PP guaranteeing that the aircraft *is* within 10nm of the airway 95% of the time? If the FMC PP has a 9nm error (be it excessive, but still within the constraints of what the avionics is guaranteeing) then entering an offset could put the aircraft's real, physical, position outside of the airway limit?Does that make sense? I guess what I'm asking is, doesn't SLOPs partially remove the guaranteed buffer that RNP is designed for?Subin.