Sign in to follow this  
Guest mia

FUEL PLANNING HELP!!!, any real pilot or Flight dispatcher there??

Guest mia

Hello at all!!!I really want to know how to manually plan the total fuel required for the 747 as in the real world. (FAR, JAR or ICAO requirements).I read the PMDG "cruise" manual and I have some questions about: "Contingency Fuel, Minimum landing Fuel and Final reserve Fuel".Contingency Fuel: The manual says that this value is about 45 minutes for holdings, slow-downs, etc, but I always known that this value is about 10% (FAR) or 3% to 6%(ICAO) of the total required fuel to fly from A to B (Trip Fuel).Final Reserve Fuel: I know that this is the fuel required to fly for 30 minutes at holding speed at 1500 ft (450 m) above aerodrome elevation in standard conditions, but How to find this value for the aircraft?And finally, what does exactly the Minimum landing Fuel mean? is the same as Final reserve fuel???.To sum up, the Total fuel required for a flight should be:Taxi Fuel+Trip Fuel+Contingency Fuel 10%, 5%, 3% of the trip fuel+Alternate Fuel+ Final reserve Fuel 30 mins+Additional Fuel+Extra Fuel (captain discretion)Is that correct? Thanks in advance!!! I hope you can help me :)Best regardsSantiagoPd.- How much fuel is required for Taxi?

Hi,yes, your calculation is right :) .>>How much fuel is required for Taxi?I quote the JAR-OPS1:Taxy fuel, which should not be less than the amount, expected to be used prior to take-off. Localconditions at the departure aerodrome and APU consumption should be taken into account.>>Final Reserve Fuel: I know that this is the fuel required to fly for 30 minutes at holding speed at 1500 ft (450 m) above aerodrome elevation in standard conditions, but How to find this value for the aircraft?You have to have a performance manual to figure out those values. A Boeing FPPM (Flight Planning and Performace Manual) or such documents.>>And finally, what does exactly the Minimum landing Fuel mean? is the same as Final reserve fuel???.The absolute minimum is the Final Reserve Fuel, otherwise you have to declare an emergency situation.

Regards Marc

[EUR VOR RDL 205 DME 15.7]

Guest ColdBear

Hello,I fly on JAR ops. And they require a minimum of TAXI/TRIP + Cont. + Altn + Final Res.For taxi on the 744 I would use 1-2tonnesContingency is 5% of trip fuelAltn fuel is pretty much self explanetory.Final res. is 30min at 1500ftAdditionel fuel is for ETOPS flight, flights to an isolated A/D etcExtra is captains descretion.at your destenation you should arrive with atleast Altn and Final res fuel.martin

Guest mia

Thanks Marc and Martin for answering, so, the Final reserve Fuel is the same as the Minimum landing Fuel, isn

FWIW, FSBuild and TopCat calculate the 744 taxi fuel usage at 1000lbs per 10min of taxi time.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE