Sign in to follow this  

So many lights! Which one is for what??

This is probabbly a stupid question, but i just want to know exactly what is every light in the airplane used for. For example, when do you use the beacon lights. When do you turn em off. What about the strobes lights, do they have to be shut off after takeoff? etc etc.. Thanks

A couple of hard rules that I know. Anti-collision lights must be on when the aircraft is moving at any time. Anti-collision lights are either multiple rotating beacons red or white in color and or strobes. A pilot may turn off the strobes when he determines they may cause a hazard in adverse weather. I am a real pilot and don't use strobes during the day, only the rotating beacon. In fact most general aviation planes I fly don't have strobes. I will have to watch the pro's when I am at the airport next to see how they use strobes. I keep them on from engine start at night unless there are other aircraft and people on the ramp. Position Lights (Nav, red and green) must be on from sunset to sunrise. I don't think there are any hard rules on landing lights. I'm sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but my experience tells me that most pilots turn them on when they are on the active runway and below 10,000 ft. If the FAA doesn't have landing light rules, I am sure the airlines do. DAVID C. FREEMANCONTINENTAL VIRTUAL AIRLINESHouston

Here's what I usually stick to - it's probably totally wrong, but it makes me happy :-):TAXIRotating beaconsNavigationTAKING THE RUNWAYRotating beaconsNavigationLandingStrobesPASSING 10,000Rotating beaconsNavigatoinStrobesPASSING 18,000Rotating beaconsNavigationI then do the entire thing in reverse for descent, leaving the runway, and taxi to the gate.-TRhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d4ca3a97800e800.giftreilly04@hotmail.comEDIT = I swear I can spell...honestly, I can...

Leave your beacon on before and after engine shutdown. Navigation (nav) lights need to be on at night and when in clouds. Landing light on at takeoff and landing, also have landing lights on 5 miles before you get to the runway and while in the traffic pattern. Strobe lights are for collision avoidance, most pilots wait to turn strobe lights on until after takeoff.