Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mower

SDK?

Guest Mower

Any plans to release an SDK for the 744X?Payware add-ons like FS2 Crew are substandard (compared to the LSD 763 FS2C) due to a lack of SDK resiltin gin the app being unable to read switch positions (according to their developers when I asked).I have (purchased), love and respect the 744x but would like ot see more add-ons for it.Thanx.

Guest Mower

Okay I read that thread, thanks.Rather an unsatisfactory company answer and viewpoint IMHO.Seems to be just fine with the LDS 763 AFAIK.Then PMDG will need to work on a more robust and active FO, frankly, if I am to consider follow-on purchases.It's not enough anymore to just simulate the jet in high detail, you need to recreate the cockpit ENVIRONMENT as well.

Guest Mower

Sorry, forgot the rule here...Signed Chris Honke.

Hi Chris,Unfortunately, Chris we live today in a world where marketing and firm secrecy is much more important than customer satisfaction. In this crazy world once a customer has been attracted by a product and has spent his hard earned money for it, the ultimate goal of the company has been reached. Why should then the company go out of its way and facilitate the job of others by sharing proprietary information? their objective has been reached when selling their own product. Only on very rare occasion will you find companies which take a more global approach with a vision for the future. Those very few companies believe that surrounding developments may enhance their marketing goals and therefore they are more willing to share.Remember one: we the customers are only interesting as a potential buyers. Once purchased and limited warranty and guidance has been given for the product, the company is not enclined to go out of its way as it would be counter-productive for them in terms of earnings. What I said above is not directed at PMDG and should not be understood as a complain towards their policy. It is a general view on the business environment we are living in.

LOL another user again asking after an SDK, Chris you are not alone my friend in seeing the PMDG products starting to become limited in their attractiveness. I've brought PMDG ever since they released for FS, and yes they are trully amazing products in some ways, I spent virtually all my time flying the original 747 and 737, but my interest and hardware in making FS more realistic grew and PMDG didnt. I would love to zoom around the world in my 747, but Im afraid it sits in the hanger most of the time, with my levelD 767 gaining all of my sim time, or some light a/c when im VFRing it around my photo scenery.I think as more compaines release a/c especially probably when we see FS11 comeonline, if PMDG havent bitten the bullet and made an SDK or released offsets or used simconnect code to allow us to use our additional hardware they will find their market share is somewhat limited. After all its not like a product is coming out from them monthly, are people going to wait years for somehing that really now compared to the other developers products just makes using FS seem like a game, using mouse clicks, etc, when the competition makes it like a sim.I have my levelD running on 3 22inch monitors in VC and a fourth 19inch fro other panels, with a fully functioning MCP, twin saitek throttle quaadrants, EFIS, rudders saitek yoke, Track IR, and radio/nav stacks. I dont have to touch my mouse virtually at all, and flying is totally amazing especially online when getting lots of instructions. Come on PMDG...time after time requests are being made for a SDK...surely you can see for whatever "privacy" reasons you say for not doing it, being actually still in business is actually a better option!James

James,Simple addition: how many PMDG customers have or will have a decent home cockpit, an adequate flying education and purchase PMDG addons?and how many PMDG customers purchase and take their product as a must have hobby game? I guess the answer is obvious right from the kind of posts you see in this forum. The average level of expertise in managing a complex machine is still very low at best.It would be suicidal for PMDG to go the home cockpit builders way. That is unfortunate but it seems that it is their business strategy. Unless the PMDG brasses can pull another argument out of their sleeves this is the only valid reason I can think of.Best regards

Guest Mower

What I fundamentally do not understand is why LDS (I have their 763x) have not had any concerns or issues with releasing an SDK. The payware add-ons that can then integrate with the product (like FS2C) multiply its value and so my interest in follow-on products.I really do enjoy the 744x but it needs add-ons to hold my attention in the longer run. If the vaunted MD11 or 737 have no plans for a SDK then I fear that the odds of me purchasing them drop markedly.Not trying to bash but this issue needs to be on the PMDG's radar.Chris Honke.

Chris,Let's wait and see what the executives from PMDG have to say. I am pretty sure they could be convinced if the market request it. At the end of the day it is a matter of where do you make the most money.One could imagine that if those people who need SDK for their project are prepared to pay a high price (which would be deterring for others) and are willing to sign all kind of legal agreements protecting PMDG property, then they could be convinced.Best regards

Gentlemen-There are a vast number of technical reasons why we decided not to make public an SDK. There were also profit/development cost concerns. These topics are not something that will be discussed.This always becomes an emotional issue. Let me be clear that our decision to issue an SDK or not- impacts approximately 1/10th of 1% of our customers. So- while it makes for good rhetoric to bluster that "PMDG is ignoring my needs so I'll never purchase from them again," I simply cannot allow such an argument to take sway- because that would cause us to ignore some very important agenda items affecting the other 99.9% of our customers.That being said, PMDG, like all companies, is occasionally guilty of making fundamentally flawed decisions in order to address sometimes conflicting goals. In my opinion, our decisions related to whether or not we provide outside developer access to our products is an example of an area where we need to improve our process.In this arena, we have established a close working relationship with a few vendors that make well known extensions to our products, such as FS2Crew. This is but one step in the direction of providing more general access- but these things take time.For now, suffice it to be said that the issue of whether or not to provide an SDK in future products is certainly on the radar- but I'm not in a position to make any promises or assurances as to when or how this will come to pass.I am quite confident that an SDK will not be produced for the 747-400 series, and it is exceptionally unlikely on the MD-11. I would like to see us open some things up for products beyond the MD-11, but a decision to make this happen won't be made until a number of issues that affect a much broader segment of our customer base have been addressed...So- in short: Ask me again in two years. ;-)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest Mower

Robert, your answer will suffice for now, knowing that the issue is "on the radar". Thanx.BTW, lucky thing FSX has a SDK, eh? (Couldn't resist.)Cheers.Chris Honke.