Sign in to follow this  
Guest Scott Campbell

Please enlighten me. Emma Field. Birds singing etc etc.

SoundScape and Emma just make me laugh. I dont know I thought that flying and enjoying the scenery was all that was required. Now we can add sounds while we fly over McDonalds (Big Mac please!) I guess you could cut the engine, Open the door and listen for your favorite sound. I know its there and I dont have to buy it but come on, isnt this a little too much. Just curious. Im sure we have some young folks out there and I really dont mean to offend anyone. But this is just a little too much IMO.Just curious if im missing something.RegardsBobG

Hi BobI have to agree with you, although I guess to each his own. :-)I've posted in these forums how important a quality VC is to the enjoyment of my flying and inevitably someone will reply how they don't really care for them. So what do I know. :-)Flightsimmers certainly are a diverse group, and I mean that in a good way. :-) SteveCYYZ

>SoundScape and Emma just make me laugh. I dont know I >thought that flying and enjoying the scenery was all that >was required. Now we can add sounds while we fly over >McDonalds (Big Mac please!) I guess you could cut the >engine, Open the door and listen for your favorite sound. I >know its there and I dont have to buy it but come on, isnt >this a little too much. Just curious. Im sure we have some >young folks out there and I really dont mean to offend >anyone. But this is just a little too much IMO. Good point:-) Let me try to explain.For many people FS2002 is more than flying at 30.000 feet in a B747. There is a growing number of pilots who like to fly small aircraft from small airfield. They enjoy the outdoors in FS2002. They also spend a lot of time on the ground with the engines off. I personally think it is very cool that when I land at a small airport late in the evening I shut down the cocpkit, open the door and hear the woods, the mechanic hammering away some damage and the phgone ringing in the FBO office. Somehow this really make FS2002 real for me. We believe it is not stranger than clicking a switch labeled "Fasten Seatbelts" when you are sitting in front of you computer.As we were building ever more complex objects for scenery it seemed silly not to go the extra mile and add sound it it. If we could we would add smell as well (scratch cards anybody). But FSSoundScape is a small tool for a special kind of pilot. We call it the fourth dimension. In Emma the sounds play an extra role as it is really aimed at being the startup airport for people who like to fly in this region. You can really explore this airport with it's animated people and changes as weather and time of day change.It sounds like Emma Field and FSSoundScape are not products you will like. But as FSSS has a demo version you can always try it. You just might be surprised.Mathijs KokLAGO

Guest JonP01

Mathijs,While we are on the subject of Soundscape. I tried the demo of Soundscape and noticed that whenever the sound "player" is on, it significantly reduces the signal-to-noise ratio of the FS2002 ATIS and Air Traffic Control broadcasts. The resultant background hiss makes these transmissions very difficult to listen to. If I disable the soundscape player, these problems completely go away. I never had this problem until I installed the Soundscape demo. I am running a Soundblaster Audigy on Win98SE with DX 8.1b. My sound quality is set to "high" in FS2002.

Well to me FS2002 is only about one thing and that is to have fun, personnally i think Emma field is one of the best and most fun addons ever made for FS2002.FS2002 is not only for hardcore simmers, if it was i would have left it on the shelve a long time ago with the other games i dont have fun playing anymore.

Agreed! I DO spend most of my FS time flying the "heavy iron", but I also like to relax, or take a little vacation from that every now and then. To me, the Bush Scenery, Flying M Ranch and Emma Field are the perfect places for that.Mathijs, Now that you've opened the door with the Emma Field and the new version of the Flying M, it would be real neat to see some sort of "Fly-In Community" that would have houses with hangars, streets that double as taxiways, and of course an airstrip! :)

BobK

Guest RobA

Mathijs, I tried the Soundscape Demo and have the water wave sound active when I pull up to the pier in my float plane. Sitting in the cockpit and shutting down, I hear the water as well as see (feel?) the aircraft bobbing in the water........ very cool effect. :-) I have many of Lago's products, including my first ever paid for scenery "Emma Field", but will wait on buying FSSoundscape until I know why some sounds don't play in Emma Field. The truck towing a trailer makes no sound, even if I'm very close to it, as well as the small aircraft that lands and taxi's to a parking spot has no sound. Still, Emma field is a great place for a low and slow flyer like myself!! For me, fs2k2 has really put the fun back into flt simming and Lago's products fit right in with this. Best, Rob[table border=2 bgcolor=#eeeeee][tr][td]http://avsim.com/flightdeck/images/Radar_small.gif[/td][td]Beta tester for Radar Contact] the premier ATC adventure add-on for FS

>While we are on the subject of Soundscape. I tried the demo >of Soundscape and noticed that whenever the sound "player" >is on, it significantly reduces the signal-to-noise ratio of >the FS2002 ATIS and Air Traffic Control broadcasts. The >resultant background hiss makes these transmissions very >difficult to listen to. If I disable the soundscape player, >these problems completely go away. I never had this problem >until I installed the Soundscape demo. I am running a >Soundblaster Audigy on Win98SE with DX 8.1b. My sound >quality is set to "high" in FS2002. Mmmm... strange one, certainly as the two soundstreams are both handled by DirectSound. Actually make me think of a problem in DirectX more than with either of the soundstreams. Give me some time to experiment....Mathijs

>Now that you've opened the door with the Emma Field and the >new version of the Flying M, it would be real neat to see >some sort of "Fly-In Community" that would have houses with >hangars, streets that double as taxiways, and of course an >airstrip! :) Yeah, like the one that was done by... mmmm...can't find the name just now... There was a commcercial release like that not too long ago. But I did not like it much as it was very Fs2000 style scenery.But for something like this I would need a good example. I know I seen a Discovery doc on such a park but are there more?MathijsP.s. Always in for a trip to the USA:-)

> I tried the Soundscape Demo and have the water wave sound >active when I pull up to the pier in my float plane. >Sitting in the cockpit and shutting down, I hear the water >as well as see (feel?) the aircraft bobbing in the >water........ very cool effect. :-) The update to version 1.01 has the ducks removed. They kind of spoiled the idea. Do stay there at night for a while, some wolves have been seen in the region lately!> I have many of Lago's products, including my first ever >paid for scenery "Emma Field", but will wait on buying >FSSoundscape until I know why some sounds don't play in Emma >Field. The truck towing a trailer makes no sound, even if >I'm very close to it, as well as the small aircraft that >lands and taxi's to a parking spot has no sound. Still, I am not sure that truck has sound attached to it (we had to cut down to avoid slowing down FS) but the aircrafts should have sounds, I'll look into that. FSSoundScape can not have these problems because those sounds are not linked to moving objects, only to locations in your scenery.Mathijs

Well thank you all very much for your inputs. It seems that if the question is posed correctly you get a much better response. It may have seemed to some that I was dissing the product. Well I was sort of. Again acceptance of opinions is what makes this a great forum. Again as one person mentioned parking the aircraft and just taking in the sounds in is enjoyable for him. For me I would probably just sit on my front porch as there is a private airfield near by and they are always doing cloud wheelies. An because I live in a somewhat hidden area in Washington state I do get the bird calls including woodpeckers,ducks and geese and my son is always pounding on something in the garage for engineering school. So for me I dont have any interest in these types of products because I have it right here at home. Thanks for everyones input and I hope my comments have not offended anyone.RegardsBobG

> Thanks for everyones input and I hope my >comments have not offended anyone. I do not believe that anything you wrote could have offended anybody. You written an opinion and that one is as good as mine (or anybody elses), certainly as you wrote it with humor.Wish I was next to you on your porch. In Amsterdam we got horizontal rain for the last few hours and in the distance I only see 747 taking off for the late flights to the USA. You position seem better:-)Mathijs

Mathijs Well if you decide one day to come to the the Pacific NorthWest I would be more than happy to give you a place to stay for your visit.We have a couch bed downstairs, 3 dogs, 3 cats and wonderful out the window scenery. And best of all it's very quiet except for the RV 6's doing cloud wheelies.BobG

Two comments:1- The basis provided by FS2002 orients towards specific types of developments and excludes others. For example, if it allowed for accurate roads rendering, we'd have them by now. What we get is what is possible to make with the current engine. For some it's interesting, for others it's not.2- For the former, I'd still suggest a week-end visit to the nearest Emma field. There, for 50 cents, they'll have a real pop, watch real planes, talk to real people and a have a real good time. They may even find a good soul to take them for a real ride.

Guest RobA

Mathijs, Thanks for taking the time to respond. Very interesting thread here that shows the varied interests of all simmers. No prob on the truck sounds, just wasn't sure as the docs state vehicles have sounds, maybe just not the truck towing the trailer. I would like to hear the taxiing planes when they park tho. :-)Best, Rob[table border=2 bgcolor=#eeeeee][tr][td]http://avsim.com/flightdeck/images/Radar_small.gif[/td][td]Beta tester for Radar Contact] the premier ATC adventure add-on for FS