Sign in to follow this  
airmiller

New Update - KSEA FMC Problems

Hi,Since the update I can't set up my FMC from KSEA - it gives me, "KSEA err: 16R rwy unknown" message and won't let me pick any departure runway or arrival runway, sids, or stars. It worked fine prior to the install of the new update. Tried flying from a different airport "KSFO" - it worked as long as KSEA isn't on the flight plan? I don't know of any other airports with the same problem. KSEA doesn't work due to error.I'm using FS9 with the update and no AIRAC added other than what came with the original installer and update. I'm using the default scenery/airports as well.I've started with the default C172 and still same results.I've even uninstalled and reinstalled the entire plane and updates 2 times with the same results.I'm not using any other PMDG product also.Any help will be appreciated.Thanks,Benny

Benny,You need to update your AIRAC Cycle...please check which one you are using & get back to us...in the real world runway designations fixes & navigation aids change regularly...by updating your AIRAC cycle you will fix these issues.If you are an online flyer I would suggest that this is an essential task that you should complete monthly...just my opinion.Navigraph produces a monthly AIRAC Cycle update which mirrors the RW changes for the PMDG line that includes updated SID/STAR files...available for a relatively small cost...worth every cent/penny IMHO.If my memory serves me well the RWY designations have changed at KSEA with the introduction of a 3rd RWY...I suspect there is now a mismatch between the NAVDATA (AIRAC Cycle) installed & the SID/STAR file (for KSEA) you have installed. These are separate files in separate folders & the RWY designations in the two files MUST match for the PMDG FMC to correctly recognise the RWY you choose.Follow the link below to the NAVIGRAPH home page register & create an account.http://www2.navigraph.com/www/default.aspOnce you have dowloaded & installed the latest AIRAC (0805) go to AVSIM & search for 'Dan Downs'...he provides some fantastically detailed & accurate SID/STAR files for most major US airfields...download & copy into the SID/STAR folder as he describes.Dan may chime in later today but I suspect he is tucked up safely in bed...its still very early on Saturday morning where he lives LOL!!Kind RegardsSteve Bell

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Normally, but got up early to help my daughter out the door on a field trip.Steve is correct regarding KSEA... they haven't added the 3d runway yet but the renumbering is done and that is causing your problem.You should get the same result if you try KORD.Hope this helps.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Steve,Got your reply and Dan's reply this morning. I have AIRAC 0802 on my FMC."Navigraph produces a monthly AIRAC Cycle update which mirrors the RW changes for the PMDG line that includes updated SID/STAR files...available for a relatively small cost...worth every cent/penny IMHO."Will I have to constantly update this in order to continue to fly this plane?Please let me know if there is another way to fix this before I'm forced to get the credit card out and spend another $16.00 USD.Kind Regards,Benny

In most cases, using navdata that is the same cycle will eliminate errors. The error is usually caused by a sidstar file that references a runway number that isn't in the wpNavAPT.txt navdata file, so you can also go into that file with any text editor and manually "patch" it. There is a data dictionary for the navdata files in the PMDG OPs section: http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki/NAVDATA_Data_DictionaryThis ought to serve as a temp fix without anymore hits on your credit card.However, you'd be amazed at how many changes occur in the data every other cycle (they are issued every 28 days but most changes are every 56 days) I'm working on Cycle 0806 now, KIAD is getting a runway number change, KCVG has all new RNAV SIDs and I'm only as far down the list as KIAH (and I only update 68 locations at this time).

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan-My jepp charts for June haven't shown yet... What runway is changing at KIAD?

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Runway 1L/19R switching to 1C/19C for the new future runway towards the West, same situation as KSEA.

Dan Downs KCRP

I have not done this for quite a long time. When I go to the Navdata page to download the AIO file it looks like PMDG is no longer supported.Can someone tell if that is true?Also I found the SIDSTAR file from Terry for 0805 but not 0802.it seems very hard to keep all these updates synched.Greg

Greg Clark

Greg:www.navigraph.com is the paysite- I wholeheartedly recommend it for navdata and the basic SIDSTAR files. Then get our own Dan Downs' SIDSTAR files which are issued here on AvSIM a few days before each cycle, and pester Steve Bell for his if you are even THINKING of flying to the UK! Dan and Steve are incredible artists and we are lucky that they give so freely to us!The charge for the navdata is unavoidable (IMHO) if you fly online. Should you not, you can update as and when you like. The free navdata/at site which used to have PMDG procedures available no longer appears to. The payware NAVIGRAPH site's procedures work well for assorted locales, but for the US and UK our writers files are TOPS!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Navdata quit accepting updates for PMDG SIDSTARs when Richard Stefan added SIDSTARs to the navdata from Navigraph, purely a commercial constraint. For the nominal monthly costs, you get both AIRAC navdata and global SIDSTAR procedures in one download and install. This makes it easier than before to keep current.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan and Carl thanks for this update for me. Now it is clear to me...Greg

Greg Clark

Well, I do have one more question. In places like KSEA and KORD where runway numbers are changed since the release of FS 2004, how does the updated NAVDATA and terminal procedures mesh with the old runways in FS 2004? It would seem at first blush that you would be flying into runways that now do not exist, ie are unchanged in FS 2004.Do things line up with the new terminal procedures? I recall from earlier releases copying the old runway information from SEA and replacing the information in the newer releases wtih that old information.Greg

Greg Clark

Where the runway number only changed (KORD KSEA KIAD) then the current navdata doesn't agree with MSFS default scenery; however, the original runway and ILS is still there but with an old designation instead of new. Only the designator has changed in this case.Where there is a new runway, such as FS9 KCVG KDEN KIAH or KMCO, then the navdata will be providing information and guidance for depatures from or approaches to a runway or ILS that is not in the default scenery. In these cases, it also happens that there are runway numbering in the default that have changed in the navdata as well.Terminal procedures are based on current data, regardless of what is in the MSFS scenery files. You can use old data, as long as both navdata and sidstars are of the same cycle they will work together, and they work independent of the facility data contained in MSFS.I don't know why you would copy old info to put into current navdata files unless it would be to fly into someplace like VHHX, a closed airport that is still a simulation challenge.

Dan Downs KCRP