Sign in to follow this  
Guest jgcomp

747-400X - Landing off-center rwy

Jean-Guy:I just tried CYOW Ry32 in a cessna, I had to slew to the left slightly to center the localizer (about to the left edge of the 3 in the 32 runway marking). I noted that the FSX lat/lon at the start position on Ry32 is very close to the same as the satellite view in Google Earth. In other words, it look normal in my system.How far to the left did you have to go to center the LOC?I noted that FSX ILS32 at CYOW is listed as course 320 in the map view... is your value the same? Does your 744X track okay while enroute (it flys on the magenta line)?

Dan Downs KCRP

Ulf, try this: Put a cessna at the end of the runway and check if the localizer is centered. This test will rule out anything from PMDG or Navigraph (who provides the navdata the PMDG uses).Again, the localizer only has one course and it can only be changed by changing either the airport data or magnetic deviation within MSFS. I can prove this, in the above cessna while sitting on the runway with the localizer centered do this: Change the course. You can spin the course 360 deg and the localizer will remain centered.Give it a try.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest jgcomp

>Jean-Guy:>>I just tried CYOW Ry32 in a cessna, I had to slew to the left>slightly to center the localizer (about to the left edge of>the 3 in the 32 runway marking). I noted that the FSX lat/lon>at the start position on Ry32 is very close to the same as the>satellite view in Google Earth. In other words, it look normal>in my system.>>How far to the left did you have to go to center the LOC?>>I noted that FSX ILS32 at CYOW is listed as course 320 in the>map view... is your value the same? >>Does your 744X track okay while enroute (it flys on the>magenta line)?Dan, Indeed, my Cessna's position is exactly as yours.Yes, my 744X tracks very well while enroute. Dead on the magenta line. That is always nice to watch. Except obviously when turning but that is another matter. ;-) Well, if all is normal I'll live happily with it but I am still convinced that at some time in the past (not long ago) my 744X was landing dead center on runways ILS CATII or CATIII. Nevertheless, I am sure we will land safely anyway.Have a good evening.Jean-Guy

Guest jgcomp

Dan, May I ask the favour of you flying to CYYZ rwy06L with your system and advise the results. Possibly using a published STAR such as WASIE or any other for that purpose. If you have the same rwy alignment as mine, your autoland should put you laterally somewhere midway between the center line and the left side of the runway. In fact, rwy06L being ILS CATII or CATIII, your 744X should do the entire landing by itself in almost no visibility. Just curious! Thanks.Jean-Guy

Gents-This topic has been discussed a bunch of times in various formats.A couple of things that I want to correct in the conversation:1) PMDG doesn't make the navdata. It is compiled by Navigraph, who obtains it from AIRAC. We include a free cycle of the navdata with all of our products as a courtesy of our relationship with navigraph.2) The age of your information depends upon what you install. The SIDSTAR and NAVDATA information included with your installer is current as of the time that the installer was built. For example, if you have an original FSX PMDG 747-400X installer, you have navdata from late last year. If you purchased the 400X today, then you have navdata from just a few months ago.3) The update installer does not carry navdata- so it would leave whatever you had on previously installed.This discussion of aircraft not following the localizer has been discussed a bunch of times- and sometimes it is related to bad afcads, sometimes to bad scenery, sometimes to problems within the FSX scenery database- none of which we control. Take a few moments to run a search on the topic in this forum and you'll no doubt find a few examples of previous posts- and how the users resolved the problem...Hope that helps clarify some confusion!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest UlfB

>Ulf, try this: Put a cessna at the end of the runway and>check if the localizer is centered. This test will rule out>anything from PMDG or Navigraph (who provides the navdata the>PMDG uses).>Dan,This is how the same AP approach looks like with the default Cessna, seems to a lot better aligned with the rw, doesn't it? Why? Because I set the course to 353 all by myself. The PMDG sets the course with autoland to 351, which causes the off center touchdowns with the PMDG.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/189087.jpgSo a last time, Dan: The problems isn't the localizer, it's the faulty heading in the nav database!@Robert,My latest install was the PMDG 747 FSX update to 2.10. Maybe this update installed an older nav database? I'll download a fresh version and check that out. Maybe you need to downgrade the nav database to have it to fit FSX, which is getting older and older?I'm sorry, but I didn't do a search of the forum because I immediately found this thread that seemed OT regarding my issue.Ulf B

Ulf,Have you tried running the FSX Registry correction tool? We had several users who encountered similar behavior that was traced to a defective FSX Registry entry.RegardsPaul Gollnick :-cool Technical Operations/Customer Operational SupportPrecision Manuals Development Groupwww.precisionmanuals.comhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/priv/img/forum/sig_pmdg.jpg

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

Guest UlfB

>Ulf,>>Have you tried running the FSX Registry correction tool? We>had several users who encountered similar behavior that was>traced to a defective FSX Registry entry.>Paul,What Registry entry would be faulty or missing? I can easily check registry. In what way would this make the nav database contain old headings?I've just registered at the Navigraph, so I'll try to install another AIRAC for the PMDG. I'll report when I'm back from work and have some time to spend with FSX. Thanks for all advice and tips!!Ulf B

Guest UlfB

Hi again,Seems you need to pay for this nav database :-) So I need to uninstall the PMDG 747 and install the original RTM to be able to get back my "old" working nav database. And then make a backup copy of the nav database before installing the 747 2.10 update. And then restore the nav database files. I'll report back whenever I get the time to do this.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Ulf-Let me try this again- i may not have been clear enough in my earlier post:The 2.10 update does not touch the navdata.Ultimately here- the problem is that the magnetic field on the planet is constantly changing. In spite of what some might accuse us of- PMDG does not control the magnetic spectrum (yet!) so this is something we all have to live with. :-pOut of interest- in your post above you mentioned tuning the course to 353 manually in the cessna.Try this in the 400 too- as an experiment!Go to the NAV RAD page, and enter the frequency/course into the ILS line.example:110.10/353

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest UlfB

Robert,>Let me try this again- i may not have been clear enough in my>earlier post:>>The 2.10 update does not touch the navdata.Oh, my mistake :+ Sorry! I wonder which add on that installed this navdata.>Go to the NAV RAD page, and enter the frequency/course into>the ILS line.>>example:>110.10/353I haven't tested that, but I'm sure it will work. I'll set the ILS course manually in the FMS. Not a problem since you got a lot of time during the flight to do this. Thanks for the tipI consider my issue solved so far. A big thanks to all posters!Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Guest jgcomp

>Ulf,>>Have you tried running the FSX Registry correction tool? We>had several users who encountered similar behavior that was>traced to a defective FSX Registry entry.>>Regards>Paul Gollnick :-cool >Technical Operations/Customer Operational Support>Precision Manuals Development Group>www.precisionmanuals.com>http://www.precisionmanuals.com/priv/img/forum/sig_pmdg.jpgPaul, Can you point me where I could find this "FSX Registry Correction Tool", please. I did some searching but without success.ThanksJean-Guy

Guest UlfB

>>Try this in the 400 too- as an experiment!>>Go to the NAV RAD page, and enter the frequency/course into>the ILS line.>>example:>110.10/353>Hi again,Sorry to say but it didn't help. Seems that it's the runway location/coordinates that doesn't match up with the location/coordinates in the navdata database.I'm not really that intrested in manuall changing all FSX airports that are affected with AFX. Is it possible to install an older navdata base instead? Does anybody now what AIRAC cycle that matches FSX? Does anybody know how and where (Navigrahp?) you could download older AIRAC cycles?Any help on this is very much appreciated!Ulf B

Ulf... you really oughta start a new thread. Anyway, it's not likely that any navdata exactly matches FSX. Microsoft runways are almost always off by a little bit, the taxiways are off even more. Besides, I thought you were okay, you are landing on the runway just not in the center. The fix is to update FSX, not change the real world. If you're interesting in learning scenery design I suggest you try out ADE (Airport Design Editor) available free in the AVSIM library.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Dan,A difference between the wpNavAPT.txt file and the MSFS scenery for runway location sounds as if a solution could be easily fixed by someone with the skills to develop a utility program that sets the MSFS scenery file runway location to the values in the wpNavApt.txt file, where these differ.Anyone up for this?Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx