Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Old Issue: ND WX range rings on 744

I can get the Wx range rings to come up on the 744's ND (in FS9) but only for that particular FS session. Once I turn off the PC and reboot, I have to re-edit the INI file to turn on the rings once again. Is this the best it gets?Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,I have exactly the same behaviour, don't know if there is a work around. And most of the time i forget to change the INI before flight, so i can't get those rings to work after starting a flightx(

Yeah, shame this kind of small glitch. The rings do look nifty, eh?!Jonathan

>>I can get the Wx range rings to come up on the 744's ND (in>FS9) but only for that particular FS session. Once I turn off>the PC and reboot, I have to re-edit the INI file to turn on>the rings once again. Is this the best it gets?>>JonathanIt has been discussed many times:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=search

Aha, discussed, but not resolved! I posted because although I have been aware of such discussions going back some time, I was vaguely hoping that maybe somebody might have stumbled on a fix.Jonathan

Guest poschrob

The solution is easier than you would imagine.Save your desired settings in the options, and make the file in which you have to set the show_tcas_rings (can't quite remember what it's called) to READ ONLY.By doing so, you will be able to switch the rings on and off.Regards,Rob

Rob- that's brilliant! Can you confirm that there are no resulting issues with the change to read only- i.e.- you can still change ZFW etc? I believe that the file in question is the panel.ini file and there ought to be not problem...........but ought to and is no problem are two entirely different things....please do advise! Ryan, or anyone else from PMDG, would this have any undesirable effect?Thanks again!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Done- and what a simple and effective solution! I only fly the VC and winglets- so not being able to change that "in-session", is just not an issue. For the first time I am able to have the range rings appear with a push of the Wx button on the EFIS, without manually changing the PMDG747400gauges.ini file each time! Thank-you!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Carl,Would you be a bit more explicit in the instructions for this please? Which Option to change and which file has to be made read-only?Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Richard:C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9PMDG747400guages.iniEDIT the file in Notepad to say TCAS_ShowRange Rings=1 (default is 0)SAVERight click and go to PropertiesSelect Read-OnlyThats it! Brilliant fix!Now, the only residual issue is that within the sim, you cannot select to have winglets or not, or VC or not- so what?Once you have selected the options that YOU use, THEN make it read-only- presto- you are done.Now, EVERY time you fly, a press of your Wx button on your EFIS gives you range rings.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Look for the "747400gauges.ini" file normally found at : ...Flight Simulator 9PMDG747400gauges.iniOpen with notepad, and look for the line "TCAS_ShowRangeRings=0 and change the "0" into "1". You can find this line under "ND".Save and close the file.Then Rightclick on the file and select "Properties". Select in tab "General" the option Read-only and select "apply" and "OK".Your done.This solution is so simple that one don't even think about it, thanks Rob.EDIT: Aaah, Carl, you where to fast !

;)Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

A bloody brilliant solution! Hooray for this forum and I am glad I raised this issue again (and without being made to feel like a twit too!)Thanks to Rob very much.Thanks to Carl for posting follow-up.Hooray for Range Rings on Demand !Jonathan

Guest poschrob

Dear Captains,you're more than welcome!Carl - no, there are no resulting issues, all the data you set is saved correctly, only the preset amount of fuel in the load editor won't show up under options, you have to set it to the desired level. Oh, well :) [but the fuel WILL BE DISTRIBUTED CORRECTLY - I'm sure you have noticed that ;)]Should you wish to change anything under options, make the file writeable again (by removing the Read-only option), start FS, save your new settings, quit FS, open the file, set the show_rings value to one, save the file, and make it read only again.Glad I could help you all.Rob

Many thanks to both Carl and William for clarifying the procedure.Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx