Sign in to follow this  
Guest amsterdamer

Question on autolanding

Guest amsterdamer

Hi can anybody kindly tell me please when to dis-engage the auto pilot when enabling a manual landing by the pilot themselves in real life aviation and what is the maximum visibility a pilot will need to go for an autolanding, all your assistance will be much appreciated, thank you in advance.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gif

>Hi can anybody kindly tell me please when to dis-engage the>auto pilot when enabling a manual landing by the pilot>themselves in real life aviation and what is the maximum>visibility a pilot will need to go for an autolanding, all>your assistance will be much appreciated, thank you in>advance.>http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gif>1) i asked this same question on another forum and got a mixed responce. the most common responce i got is when the runway is visible and you are cleared by ATC for the approach, thats when you would disconnect the autopilot.2) i believe visibility for a autopilot landing is set by the desision height (DH). for most airports in the US, the DH for a ILS approach is 200ft AGL. if you cannot see the PAPI/VASI lights or the runway threshold by the time you get to the DH, you are required to execute the Go Around (GA).

Guest jumbojock

Hi AmsterdamerJust before one of the moderators reminds you, you need to sign the post with your real name.It really depends what you're doing, to what Category, and personal choice. In a normal ILS (Cat 1) the lowest decision height (DH) is normally 200 ft, but most guys like to get a feel for the aircraft before DH; personally, I remove the autopilot (A/P) between 1000 and 1500 ft. The only limitation we have is that in a single channel A/P approach, the A/P must be removed before 100 ft above the airfield.There is no maximum visibility for autoland, I think you mean minimum, and again this depends on which category of approach you're using.To keep it simple, you asked about a manual landing so to err on the safe side, take it out once you're fully configured.David "jumbojock" Robertson

Hello amsterdammer,I don't know if there are SOP's concerning this issue (except CAT3), but I guess it's all down to the pilot's decision, safety being a major parameter of course.I usually go manual just before the 1000 callout in fair weather but I always like to maintain a stable approach as in real world so if I'm not good I do wait until so.If you already haven't done so, check out youtube for landing videos, there are so many of them for each type of aircraft and company. You should get a good idea of how it's done in real life.happy landings

Real world, landing CAT I, I take the controls when I've got the runway (IMC) or between 200-500 AGL when VMC.IMC - Instrument Meterological ConditionsVMC - Visual " "If I'm doing it for practice, I don't use auto at all. In real IMC it's best to get control when you've got visual because it get's you in the control loop hopefully before you're over the lights.With pax I prefer auto until 200-500 AGL because he is smoother than I am in windy conditions (today is average in KCRP winds are 15 gust 23).

Dan Downs KCRP