Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Anybody using a touch screen for 747 (or NG) FMC ?

Has anybody else had any success in utilising a touch screen? I so hate using my mouse.
I hear you on not liking to use a mouse. Not only the mouse, but I wanted to get away from having to rely on my CH HOTAS buttons, which becomes messy when flying different aircraft with different functions. You can certainly program different profiles, but often have to assign different functions between aircraft to the same controls.I've ended up with 4 touch screens. I decided that anywhere I had an instrument panel, I'd make it a touch screen. I added 2 17" widescreens to my existing setup, and added touch screen overlays to 2 19" widescreens I already had. Having the extra 'real estate' of the larger screens, versus say an 8" screen, allows the flexibility to place various panels and subpanels on the touch screen(s). I open and close various panels as I need them.I'm quite happy with the outcome, but I was not able to completely get rid of the mouse. 'Right-Clicks' can be tricky sometimes as well. For the FMC (MCDU), it's magic. Ditto for many other controls. I bought everything off of eBay.The other gem is TouchBuddy - I use that on a networked computer to add my own 'controls'. Great piece of software.Attached is an overall view of my setup, which really involves three computers. (These pictures happen to be of the CoolSky Super80 Pro...rest assured I have several PMDG aircraft...the MD-11 being my absolute favorite addon bar none.) The touch screens are where all the panels are located, and the lower left approach plate, which I also use for the TouchBuddy software...just toggle between the two.Noel WBrisbane

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold

LOL!!!! Noel!!!That is nice!!!Can you pls tell me how did you do all this?I'd like to achieve something similar but I do not even know where to start from!!I have 3 PCs and 4 displays but how do you get a 3 display outside view?What do you run on each of your 3 PCs?Hope you can help me out.ThanksNicola

I use the Triple Head 2 Go by Matrox for my 3 screener outside view. I never did get the answer on this but you should be able to attach a 2nd TH2Go to the 2nd output on your GPU, attach 3 touchscreen monitors in order to view all of your 2D panels. Most modern PC's could easily handle this.

Keith Sandford.

LOL!!!! Noel!!!That is nice!!!Can you pls tell me how did you do all this?I'd like to achieve something similar but I do not even know where to start from!!I have 3 PCs and 4 displays but how do you get a 3 display outside view?What do you run on each of your 3 PCs?Hope you can help me out.ThanksNicola
Hi NicolaI'm at work at the moment but will put something more descriptive together later. I started out with one screen, added a couple more...and got carried away I suppose. You can never have too many screens!Noel WBrisbane

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold

Hi NicolaI'm at work at the moment but will put something more descriptive together later. I started out with one screen, added a couple more...and got carried away I suppose. You can never have too many screens!Noel WBrisbane
Noel,pl see your PM.CiaoNick

Well, I posted a rather long winded description of my system over on the FSX forum, which I won't repeat here. I did manage to include pictures of a PMDG airplane this time.FSX and a Multi Monitor JourneyNoel WBrisbane

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

Ha,thats what I liked to do also, the touchscree then..I intend to buy a 19" touch, rotate it 90 degrees, and use it as the 747-400 pmdg pedestal. I will also try to make it in a wooden mdf box, and put the throttle, a saitek one, there too..question: how does the touch behave with such panels ? is the center fmc usable on that scale? buttons/touchspots big enough? can you tell a bit about the usage?Johan

Hello gents, I'm new to simming, though I did a little corporate flying many years ago.

Possible to have two interior panel touchscreens active along with the iPad CDU with a three projector system for the exterior display?  I am thinking FSX and PMDG.

Thanks very much