Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Anybody using a touch screen for 747 (or NG) FMC ?

I am thinking about getting a touch-screen LCD panel for the FMC. Does anybody here use such a device? If so, does it work well and is it a straightforward affair to dock the FMC onto it? Will it work normally if I run the sim in "windowed" mode?Appreciate any posts, thanks!Jonathan

Jonathan:I'd be very interested to find out as well- I have been thinking about this approach- MUCH cheaper, and you interface with the sim itself- without the need for additional drivers.If there was a way to rotate the window display (I'm sure there is) then you could mount it in the correct position, with all the cables running from the top side over to the video card and power. Very clean and neat. The problem seems to be finding one the correct SIZE- I really do not want a 14"LCD by my knee- but the smaller ones are considerably more expensive. One of those picture frame display LCDs would be PERFECT- if it were touch screen :(Let me know- I will watch this thread for developments- thanks!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest detheridge02

I use a 19" touchscreen as a second monitor with the OH and FMC shown. The monitor is mounted above the primary monitor, a very basic cockpit setup in the making!If you stretch the FMC a little it makes its useage a lot lot easier and far more realistic. I am also setting up a second PC via MaxiVista with two further monitors, one being a touchscreen which will be placed on its back and to the right of the chair which will display the centre console / FMC. Docking the various panels to the screens is a breeze and really enhances the simming experience.Dave

Dave:Does the touchscreen work without complex configuring? Can you associate any sim panel with it and just touch or press pushable buttons and switches for it to work?What make touchscreen do you have?Thanks!Jonathan

I have a small touchscreen which looks about the same size as a real FMC. It works extremely well, once configured.A handful of points (for Vista 64 - I don't know about other o/ses):1) For vertical/portrait orientation: obviously, you need to tell windows to use the portrait orientation. FSX should detect that you have a 2nd monitor. But it does not (in my case) detect the orientation or resolution. You need to edit the FSX.CFG file manually to tell it to use (eg) 768x1024 as the resolution on the relevant Display entry. 2) The default sensitivities work fine. Trying to improve them by fiddling around with the touchscreen driver is disastrous: you risk losing "sync" between the touchscreen and the display.3) Setting the touchscreen driver up is unusually fiddly and counter-intuitive, or it was for me. However, once achieved, it works fine.4) I still have not worked out how to send the FMC automatically to the second screen every time I start up. I must re-size the FMC on the main screen, then drag across to the touchscreen.5) With my Nvidia card, the touchscreen stops working properly if I open any of the FSInn panels. FSInn will work fine in the background and give you radio contact and so on - but when you need to call up one of the panels to fiddle with something, you lose the FMC display. It comes back when you close the FSInn panels.Tim

Tim-Could you advise the Brand Name and model number of yours so I can research further/purchase? Also, if you have already researched where to get the best deal, please advise that as well.Thanks!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I had read earlier somewhere that ELO made good touch screens. None are cheap but they are well regarded, it seems.JS

Guest detheridge02

I use two 19" ELO touchscreens from a Nightclub I used to have! Very easy driver setup (Vista users beware you need to download the new drivers!).Simply install the drivers (don't hook the screens up yet!), then hook up (USB or serial), calibrate the screens (hit the targets with your finger) and away you go. Tell Windows to extend the desktop and move the '2' screen to the correct position, I have one screen over another so I have to move the second monitor every time in the window settings!You will need to rus FS (9 or X) in windowed mode and simply undock the popup windows such as the FMC or overhead and drag to the new monitor.The only thing you can't do with PMDG panels is use some of the round switches that have more than one position other than that it runs great.Don't bother with the cheap ebay touchscreen conversion kits, they're a serious waste of money. They're inaccurate (especially for FMC use) and wear out in no time with serious simming. ELO's are still cheaper than a dedicate MCP or FMC unit it depends on how much money you have and how realistic you want you cockpit to be! Dave

Hmm, I wonder how that would work with my Triplehead2Go. The TH2G recognizes my 3 LCDs as one giant single monitor of 3840x1024. It runs off one of two dual-DVI outlets on my GTO card.I figured I could prolly attach a 4th monitor (say an ELO screen) to the second dual-DVI outlet to stick an FMC onto it. But would I extend the desktop to do that or would it just be "Monitor 2", or how do you think it would work?JS

Guest glenlee

Anyone tried one of these, it looks about the right size and shape and the price seems reasonable.

That looks like a smarter version of the one I bought. The drivers linked from the page also seem to be updated versions of mine. So, if newer = better, you should be fine.One word on price:

Guest smjfreeman

Hi All,Sorry it took so long, as promised, below are a few pics of setup, including touchscreen on far right:http://www.apolloit.co.uk/_MG_3997-Edit.jpghttp://www.apolloit.co.uk/_MG_4000-Edit.jpgCloseup of touchscreen here (note the panel switcher at the top - really handy for turning off/on panels without the keyboard or mouse!):http://www.apolloit.co.uk/_MG_4004-Edit.jpgCurrently in 1180x768 res, but capable of 1600x1200A note on the smaller screens.... they look ok, but for the money I prefer to have the pri/sec EICAS, the OH, ped, available too etc etc...Cheers.

Has anybody else had any success in utilising a touch screen? I so hate using my mouse.

Keith Sandford.