Sign in to follow this  
ianoakrhind

737NG and TCAS

Hi all...I am doing more on line flying with BA Virtual (BAW0501) and I fly the 737NG most of the time. However, a lack of TCAS can be a problem.Am I right in thinking that the 737-800/900 DOES have a workable TCAS which, when installed, will also provide the 737NG with TCAS??If that is the case, can someone please confirm :1.that this is the only way to get TCAS on to the 737NG (seems an expensive work-around!)2.If I do buy the 800/900, will I be able to install the 800/900 with the 737NG and 747-400 already installed on my system without creating problems?Many thanks in advance for any advice.....Ian Oak-Rhind

IanOak-RhindSignature6.png

Ian:I can confirm that the 800/900 with the model and service updates does have working TCAS. You can get the updates at-http://www.precisionmanuals.com/priv/pages/down/updates.htmlAs far as the installation-http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki/PMDG_...7-400.2F400F.3FIf you have saved your installers- now would be a great time to re-install in the correct order- with ALL available updates :)Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

CarlVery many thanks for your helpful and ultra-prompt response!Are you suggesting that I can download the 800/900 software without having to actually purchase it from PMDG? If I do install the 800/900 service updates, will this convert my existing 737NG models into 800/900 variants? I am keen to retain the 737-600/700 BUT with a working TCAS.Sorry to labour the point, but I am still a bit confused here.Finally, if/when I do install either a purchased or updated 800/900 package........should I first UNINSTALL the 747-400, retain the installed 737NG, install the 800/900 and then reinstall the 747-400.Many thanks in advance for your help and advice. Maybe I could have posted this Topic on the BAV Forum?RegardsIan

Ian:No sorry, you will have to purchase the 800/900 package, but can THEN update from the link I provided. The 737 is MUCH better with the update. If you don't fancy speiding the additional money right now, fly the heck out of the 746- IT'S SIMPLY BRILLIANT- and wait for the NGX release. If you fly short haul mostly- SPEND THE MONEY- it's a different aeroplane altogether- and the updated VC for all your 737s make it totally worthwhile!You may be able to use the "work-around" and not uninstall- but if you are having problems, I am a fan of complete correct intallation- it only takes a few minutes.Regardless, once the base product is correctly installed- make sure you install ALL the applicable updates.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

CarlAgain..........very many thanks.I have just found this same Topic on the BAV Forum and the word from PMDG was : Quote:TCAS was added as part of the PMDG 737NG 800/900 package and also adds this functionality to the PMDG 737 600/700 when installed. The original PMDG 737NG 600/700 did not have TCAS as part of the package. To activate the TCAS after upgrading, turn the selector on the Radio Management Panel Transponder to the TA/RA position and then depress the TFC button on the EFIS control panel to see the range rings.SO...it look s like I should take your advice and purchase the 800/900 package and subsequently enjoy the updated 737-600/700 with TCAS. Also, I will be carrying out the correct uninstall/reinstall procedures together with relevant product updates.Btw.....what is the 746???!! Am is missing something here??RegardsIan (BAW0501)

746= 747-436= BA 747-400Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Definitely pick up the 800/900; it adds a lot to the product. I attached a small TCAS tutorial I wrote back in 2004. Thought it may be helpful. :-)

Ian,Basically the 600/700 was our first ever product for MSFS and was originally made for FS2002. We learned a lot between then and the 800/900 about how to do things like TCAS, a lot of FMC stuff like VNAV soft altitude constraints, fully clickable VC, and more and the 800/900 reflects all that extra development and learning that we did. It's a very substantial upgrade and I think you'll be pleased with all the extra functionality you get. It's definitely not just TCAS.If you have your 600/700 up to date (1.3 is the latest), then you'll just need to download the 800/900 installer (which is fully up to date) and the model update, which brings the 600/700 models up to the same standards as the 800/900.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Very many thanks to everybody for their inputs. I am really grateful for such expert advice.I have now purchased, downloaded and successfully installed the 800/900, plus the 600/700 model update. Before doing so, I uninstalled the 747-400 and then reinstalled it again after installing the 800/900.I am now looking forward to experiencing my trusted 737-700 with all her new improvements! Some make-over!Many thanks also to George for taking the trouble to send the TCAS Tutorial. I have work to do.......746......got it now! Thanks Carl!Would that people in "real-life" were so extraordinarily helpful and so prepared to share their knowledge as they are in our Flight Sim world.Thank you.Ian

>746= 747-436= BA 747-400BA's internal code for it is just 744. 436 is Boeing's code for it with 36 being the BA customer code. BA also use a number of other codes for their 744s depending on the use for the code e.g. Space Codes are things like 74C, 74H etc which indicate the seating configuration. 74C is, if I remember right, the new mid-J layout with the New Club World sleeper seats.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg