Sign in to follow this  
onetoavi8

Q3 for the 747 regulars

Hello anyone and everyone,I have three questions/inquiries for those in the know!And who might be using a similar set-up to mine. 1. FSX performance and the 747In a non-specific way with the following system and add-ons what would be considered acceptable frame rates for the 747- 2.5 GHz Q4 with 4G ram and GTX9800-512mb, GEX & UTX USA! Currently I am getting 6-7fps at LA at night with 100% AI, shortly after t/o 10-11fps and enroute FL350, 15-16fps...2. 747 and real world weatherIt seems real world weather plays havoc with the auto-pilot on the 747 ie auto throttle jumping around like a blue arsed fly trying to maintain speed, A/P disconnecting.I have a reg. copy of fsuipc which is supposed, I believe, to be able to smooth out the FS weather, can anyone give me a set of tried and trusted settings that will, if possible, help sort this problem out...or is it just a myth that fsuipc can do this!And 3.In the Virtual cockpit of my 747 the textures around the top edge of the windows are constant flashing much like when there are two textures bleeding through each other, like you get with some scenery. Is this a common problem and should I just get used to it???Thanks and looking forward to any comments,Russ.

Russell Shaw

1. I think FSX depends on CPU frequency much more the number of the core. I recently got a Q9450, the fps doesn't increase too much compared with my E6600 OC to 2.67Ghz, 3 or 4fps I think. According to my experiences, if you setup to many AI traffic, the fps will decrease sharply. Also pay attention to cloud layer, density, autogen density. Right now there is no hardware can let you run the FSX with these setting fully open.2. I am not sure about real world 747 auto-pilot behaviors in turbulence. But I don't think any pilot wants to fly-into a turbulence, since it is risk. I can give you 2 suggestions. First, better use ASX with FSUIPC together, go and take a look at ASX's forum, they have some suggestions on setting the FSUIPC and ASX to make FSX's weather as smooth as possible. Second, learn some knowledge about aviation weather, if you fly a plane into a microburst at low altitude, nothing can save you. Use add-on weather radar to determine if you need to change the fly path.3. I also have this problem, looking forward PMDG to give us some suggestions. RegardsYufeng

Thanks for your in-put Yufeng...Q1. is a no brainer, I was interested to hear if the fps I am getting is comparable to other users of pmdg's 747 and if so then I can always reduce my settings to increase fps...if I want to!Q2...I had to have a laugh...having spent the last 10 years flying around Africa and the itcz I am well aware what the risks of flying in bad weather is. My FSX experience is some what different as it seems that clear skies and 50 miles viz shouldn't be up-setting the 747's AP. Sorry I'm not familiar with ASX, what is it and where can I get it...my search was futile! Q3...thanks at least I'm not alone!!!cheers,Russ.

Russell Shaw

I'll throw my two cents in on Q2: I use FSUIPC with smoothing set to 1kt/1deg change per 4 seconds... that seems to dampen the FS WX problem without degrading the experience. I also disable turbulence because I don't think it is modelled very well and in best case it lacks the real dynamics involved in sudden gust loads on an airframe.ASX is by Hi-Fi Simulation.. they have a forum next door. Their web site is http://www.hifisim.com/

Dan Downs KCRP

Don't forget that standard SOPs for A/T operation call for A/T disconnect and manual power settings in turbulence with IAS variations. You do not want the A/T chasing your IAS bug.I would echo Dan's suggestions about using FSUIPC smoothing and working with AS6.5 settings (I still fly FS9 primarily) to work on that as well. The Wx engine in FS is still in its infancy- but we are making progress!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Actually i think the FS weather isint that bad.the real issues is when you log into VATSIM and use the Squawk Box weather :-lol