Sign in to follow this  

Buying a laptop

Guest Ben

Hey guys,I really need your help on this oneI am about to buy a laptop ,and my price range is 1500-2000 bucksI want to be able to play 3d games on the laptop (fs2k2 in one of them but onot the only one i mean i have roller coaster tycoon and all kind of tycoon games etc...) and to surff the net..note : i do not expect fs2k2 to run with all sliders max and get fabulous fps on the laptop .. i just want it to able to fly smoothly even if i have to seattle with sliders at half or even worse.Basically i want p4 1.5 or 1.6 , a good gfx card (is ATI Radeon 7500 AGP 32MB any good for 3d games ??)i have one laptop in mind..it's the Compaq Presario 1510EA 15.1" TFT/P4 2.2GHz/256MB/30GB/DVD+CDRW/56K/LANis it good ??can you guys helping me find a suitble laptop for my needs (and in this price range )would appreciate any help !

You can do price comparisons on all the major computer manufacturer sites. You want to look at what graphics adapters are being offered.www.dell.comwww.gateway.comwww.micronpc.comwww.hp.com , etc.

Laptops are not engineered or built for 3D games.However, this has changed a bit in the past 2 years.Manufacturers have introduced AGP and 3d chipset that providethe power.Yes, the radeon is a good 3d card. Look for Nvidia chipset also(for mobiles).Your Presario will certainly do what you want: fly smoothly...Pierre

Although I don't have a lot of personal experience with pc laptops, the only thing I can say is you get what you pay for. Try to stay away from the Compaq Presario and similar models. I know many people that have had nothing but problems from these. Compaqs propietary BIOS and hardware cause all kinds of conflicts especially when trying to run 3d apps. Its worth it to pay a bit more for a Dell or a Gateway that is built with quality parts. My 2cents.-------------Michael

I can't comment specifically on the Compaq laptop or mobile Radeon, but I can tell you that my 1-yr-old Toshiba laptop handles fs2002 quite nicely, so a recent-vintage laptop with a true 3-D graphics chipset should really rock.My Toshiba only has a PIII/850 but has the Nvidia GForce2Go chipset, which was Nvidia's first mobile chipset that handled 3-D graphics really well. Also has 256MB RAM, 20GB H.D. I'm quite addicted to the shoot'em'up multiplayer game "Descent3", so I went to the store armed with my install disks, and before I purchased the laptop I installed the apps that I wanted to evaluate and ran framerate tests. You should do the same with fs2002. Bottom line, I get 40-60fps in Descent3 and 15-25fps in fs2002 with all sliders at default. Good luck, let us know how it goes.