Sign in to follow this  
Guest tompeel

Holding

Guest tompeel

I'm looking for information on using the holding feature in the FMC, I couldn't find anything in the manual. This is the FS9 B747 BTWT.

.......it's in there......choose your HOLD fix, select the INBOUND course with the correct (L or R) turn, select the length of your holding segment and confirm it is active in your LEGS page. When the a/c reaches the FIX it will correctly execute an entry and then fly in the hold until you select to exit.Make sure LNAV is active and the A/P is selected if you don't want to manually fly the procedure.BUY Bill Bulfer's book- The Big Boeing FMC guide- it's brilliant for FMC procedures! http://fmcguide.com/StoreFront.bokMike Ray's 747-400 book is great for general all-round flows- http://www.utem.com/manuals.htmlFor FMC specifics Bill's book is the definitive guide!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest tompeel

Hello Carl are we talking about the same manual? I have DLd the PMDG747_400_OPERATING_MANUAL_V10.pdf and searched it from end to end. I can only find one reference to"HOLD" on pg 12-7 and that states that the HOLD button takes you to the HOLD pages- except there doesn't appear to be a description of the HOLD pages anywhere. This is strange, considering how detailed the other descriptions are. I tried setting up a hold on a flight last night. After several attempts I managed to define a holding point, albeit with the wrong heading. Although the plane was on LNAV and AP, it just flew straight through the holding point.That's why I need some guidance.T.

You need to look in the FMC manual. It is all in there. Same folder just different file. Not sure of the exact name as I am at work at present but just look for a file name with FMC which is a PDF file and open that. It is quite long and worth a good read.John Veldthuishttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa475.png

Well John, i am sure it is me, and maybe i am looking to fast so i overlooked it, but in the FMC-manual i can not find anything except what Tompeel says.Anyway Tompeel, the "HOLD" page is really straightforward. Just make sure you hit "EXEC" and "LNAV" is active. Depending of the direction you enter the holding the plane will make some turns and this may look like it overflys the holding but it will return and you will enter the holding. These turns are called "Direct entry", "parallel entry" and "teardrop entry". (Not sure about the last one).You can even program a HOLD at your present position, so you must click LSK6R "PPOS" (it is on the page when you first click the "HOLD" button).So just patient and enjoy the complexity of the plane:-)

I have never found it either!,in my fs9 installation holds are not covered in any of the documents.If I remember correctly I got around it by using my Lvld 767 manual which covers the subject and is (I believe ?) very similar to the 747 fmc.regards Jim

T.- Bulfer's FMC User's Guide has a 10 page section on FMC Hold.The illustrations & examples- on all FMC aspects- are well worth the price. You will be amazed at how much you DON'T know, once you start digging into this manual! Alex Reid

Guest tompeel

Just checked the PMDG 737 docs, nothing there either apart from the mention of the HOLD button.T.

T.- No, nothing on Hold procedures in PMDG manuals. For the real scoop, search for Leading Edge Publishing and buy directly from Bill Bulfer. His Boeing FMC manuals are the bible for both pros and simmers. I've spent pleasant evenings curled up in my recliner, just exploring the many FMC aspects covered in his Guide. Every point has an illustrated example. Very understandable.Alex Reid