Sign in to follow this  

Frequency Scsanner

Guest usaircon

Where can i get an Frequncy scanner to listne to ATC and other plkanes talking at an airport and how much do they cost

Guest Joshieca

I assume that you live in USA....the cheapest place to go to would be Radio Shack. You should be able to pick up a scanner for around $100 or less. All depends on how many features you want.Another place is to check out any local HAM RADIO stores. They usally will carry the Bearcat "Uniden" scanners. Those are of high quality. I have had my portable Bearcat scanner for 10 years now, works great. It set me back around $250, but then again that was 10 years ago.[div align=center][link:members.cox.net/fstimes/wetimage.html]Click Here For Weather Image of the Day!

Yep.. Radio Shack will work.. I got one about a year or two back for a around $100, but it doesn't include military frequencies, otherwise I like it :)Jason

Guest JeanLuc_

I like mine too! PRO-91. Bought it for $169 last year (reg: $249) for a 1 week clearance sale. Can't live without it now!

>Where can i get an Frequncy scanner to listne to ATC and >other plkanes talking at an airport and how much do they >cost You can purchase a great scanner for both civilian and military at Sporty's Pilot Shop.www.sportys.comCost is $157.50 and it is a quality scanner. (JD-100).

Guest firehawk44

Here's one site of many on the Internet selling scanners: http://www.911scanner.8m.com/. I have the Bearcat BC895XLT scanner (one of the best) and cannot pick up ATC at Reagan National or Washington Dulles even though I entered the listed frequencies for the towers (departing and arriving). I can hear traffic arriving from the pilots on final and occasionally Air Force One. I don't understand why I cannot pick up the tower traffic though. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

You will need to use an external antenna, since the stock antennas that come with scanners don't work very well. I know radioshack has a teloscoping portible antenna which sells for about 10 bux. If you have the space, you could always put up an antenna in your attic, or even mount it outside on a mast or tower. Right now I am using a discone antenna and it works very well. Ground stations are always much harder to hear so you have to be fairly close as well.Good luck!

Guest firehawk44

Thanks Brandon. I'll give it a try.Jim

Guest Joshieca

You can use an external ant. most scanners have BNC connectors to use...just make sure that you ground the ant. and that if a thunderstorm comes by you disconnect it.ZAPPPP!

I too had the same problem of not being able to hear anything with the stock rubber antenna... Went to Radio Shack and got a teloscoping antenna and it made a big improvement... So me living about 3-4 miles away from St. Louis Lambert Intl, as the crow flies, couldn't hear much at all with the stock antenna, but the teloscoping antenna for just a few bucks made a big improvement..Jason