Sign in to follow this  
Spidierox

747-400 FSX and triplehead to go

Hi,I have read somewhere that Triplehead2go is used by some PMDG members. Is it possible to share their FSX setting maybe ?I really want to improve my framerates and was wondering if maybe I have overlooked some things...The tweaks I saw were for resolutions of 1280 x 1024...Unfortunately I am running at 3072x 768...I also have read the FSP tweak guide but many tweaks have become obsolete for FSX.Was just curious...Hope someone can help.thanks in advance,Dieter

Hi Dieter,What framerates were you getting without the triplehead to go? And, what are your system specs? Without this it will be hard for someone to help you.

Hi Ron,My specs are the following ones:MB: Asus P5W DH deluxe CPU: Core 2 6700Vid: BFG 8800 GTX(nvidia) - 768 mbHD: 2x 320 Gb sata IIMem: 2x Corsair 2048 (so 4Gb) DDR2 64MX8, 8500-> TWIN2x2048-8500C5D)Sound : Creative SB X-fi in gaming mode Windows XP home edition SP3FSX SP2 + acceleration packTriplehead2go + track IRAll the latest drivers downloaded and installed (vid, sound, track ir, triplehead2go)- With 4gb of RAM availalbe (about 3GB for win XP to be used) I decided to have no page file setup (although system does use one)- have done the tweaks in fsx.cfg according to PMDG recommendation- nvidia control panel is using the global settings which all are set to application controlled whenever possible(still wondering if I should have more pre-rendered frames tho - now defaults at 3)- Mcafee installed but disabled before running FSX- Zfang is installed too- drives are defragmented btw I have 4 monitors: 3x 19" (triplehead2go)+ 1x 17" connected to same vid card, but other output ofcourse....Legacy 600 installed and good FPS like 20-30 on the airfield and 30-40 way up to 90-100 depending on altitude and objects to draw.PMDG drops to 9-10 fps in VC and 2D panel dragged on 4th monitor before tweak, after 11-17 fps...however in spot view I get like 20 fps on the airfield.Was wondering how pmdg has optimized their rigs for 747-400X /FX with triplehead2go at 3072x768 or 3840x1024...Dieter

Dieter,using TripleHead2Go together with FSX requires an insanely fast PC. Presently I use a similar PC to yours which is slightly faster (Core2Duo X6800 and a 8800 Ultra) but I'm planning to get a new PC very soon because of the TripleHead2Go.There are no specific settings for a TH2G, just the usual FSX settings and tweaks. After all TH2G is nothing more than one display with a huge resolution, and this kills frame rates in all 3D applications.So to be able to enjoy FSX to its fullest I will need the latest in hardware. I'll be going for a Core2Quad 9770 to benefit from the fast bus speed, fast DDR3 RAM fitting this FSB and a factory overclocked video card (either 9800GTX OC or X280 OC, but I'll wait for benchmarks with newer drivers to decide).FSX is very demanding on hardware. While my present system is fine for VFR flying (btw it's two years old except the video card) it is just not enough for airliner flying using TH2G. This IS a killer combination so I have to adjust my hardware accordingly. My present CPU is two years old and the newest and fastest one (9770) together with the latest main boards and RAM should get me quite a boost for a CPU dependent software like FSX...Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Hi Markus,Thanks for reply...You are absolutely right that one needs high end hardware...But do mind that I get very good FPS with default and legacy 600 (cfr my OP).PMDG 747-400 fsx is just that bit more complex and needs a bit more tweaking...Since FSX is (still) CPU intensive, is it better to not use AA, anistrophic filtering etc in FSX settings, but let the graphics card handle that so that FSX can just continue to generate frames...-> thinking that less intensive for CPU, more for GPU...Now on the realistic side, if I can crank FPS up to about 15 when on the airfield that will be fine...So I was wondering if settings like pre-rendered frames (see setting nvidia control panel) are higher then the default 3 ?Is the texture_bandwith_mult setting changed in your config? if so to what ? - or what would you recommend ?Also some links in the tweakguide are no more available (tweaks for autogen to have reduced number of trees, etc...). Any idea where I can find those again ?Hoping you have some answers or suggestion...Dieter