Sign in to follow this  
Heron1B

GoFlight MCP-Pro Lock-up with PMDG 737

Require feed back and assistance with the following if possible.I have the Goflight MCP-Pro with latest firmware installed (A22), Goflight Tech Support are aware of the problem and suggest I forward details to PMDG as the issue seems to be associated with the PMDG - GoFlight MCP-Pro Interface. I have emailed PMDG Support with details.Whenever I move the Course, IAS/Mach, Heading or Altitude rotary switch(s) the unit freezes (lock-up). Found I can unlock it by toggling the A/T switch on occasions but not always.The MCP-Pro connects to one of the main computer USB ports not via a hub.Another valid point is that this does not occur with any default FS9 aircraft or LevelD767. It seems to be only with PMDG 737/747.Does the PMDG-GoFlight Interface require update?Does anyone have the same issue, I know of two others so it is not an isolated case.Note GoFlight advises the latest firmware for the MCP-Pro has been released it is version A22, this can be found by disconnecting the USB from your computer and re-connecting at the same time watch the left-hand Course window on the MCP-Pro it should read A22.Derek Froud

I have this unit but with firmware A18 that was installed last year as part of an exchange of units with GoFlight. It works generally very well but it is not free from the risk of freezing once in a while with ANY kind of FS2004 aircraft for reasons I cannot determine. Prior to A18, freezes of the PRO with the PMDG 747-400 were fairly common and caused great frustration. A18 fixed this quite well or completely for various users. I don't know what firmware A22 does over and above A18. I have found generally that the PRO is more prone to freeze or exhibit latency (in particular) with PMDG jets than with other commercial add-ons or default FS2004 and FS2004 autopilot-guided freeware aircraft. It works usually quite nicely with PMDG and Level-D. I don't know if this is a PMDG issue or a GoFlight issue. If you get continuous and total freezes in certain MCP modes, you should talk to GoFlight or email them and ask if they can swap the unit for one with a different firmware. Mention A18 and see what they say to this.Others should jump in as I am by no means an authority on this specific topic, but I do have a lot of experience with a large range of GoFlight hardware over the past 4-5 years. All other GoFlight modules work flawlessly and are brilliant but the MCP PRO has been finicky and tricky I guess because of the greater number of variables in operating a proprietary autopilot.Jonathan

I also have this unit.Just a thought but have you selected "Compatable Add-On" in lieu of "FS Default" using the GFConfig2 utility?CheersGraham McAllister

A good reminder, Graham, and very valid!Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan & Graham for your replies.GoFlight advise, the A22 firmware updates the MCP-Pro covers A18 with many corrections (fixes), they still suspect the PMDG GoFlight Interface as the problem as the lock-up does not occur with default FS9 or LevelD aircraft.The lock-up is not evident all the time, you can fly for half an hour sometimes longer without the problem appearing. Have tried rebooting the system prior to flying and had anti-virus progy turned off.I have Compatible Addons as the setting in GF.Been using GoFlight modules for years now so very familiar with them, also attempt to keep in touch with GF (email)on a regular basis for latest updates. They always offer immediate response and assistance, fantastic customer service and replace modules should the need arise (which is seldom) free of charge. They replaced my previous MCP-Pro which had firmware A20 with completely new unit (with A22).BTW No reply to my email to PMDG Support on this? Which I take as confirmation that the problem is with the Interface and is in the too hard basket.Thanks again guys for you input.Derek Froud

Most welcome. We may never know the real reason for this. I gave up a while back trying to figure out what's not right--there was a lot of discussion about this on the forum--and as long as I am gentle with the PRO, it works pretty well much of the time. Unable to get beyond that though.All the best with your research efforts.Jonathan