Sign in to follow this  
Guest Worldliner

747-400 Frame rates in VC

Guest Worldliner

Hi,I have a problem with frame rates in the VC with the 747-400 in FS9.The thing is, frame rates on the airport (tested at payware LDZA) are about 20-23 fps (locked at 30), and max 30 fps during cruise, which are, I guess, normal frame rates for the 747. But the problem is that every time I turn my view in the VC, to the right for example, the frame rate drops to 16-20 fps, and if I don't move the view, it goes back to normal frame rate. It happens both at airport and during cruise.I applied all kinds of tweaks, both for gpu and in fs9.cfg, but none of them did anything with this problem...My specs are:Intel Celeron D 915 2,8 GhzAti Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512 MB (AGP)2 GB RAM, DDRWindows XP SP2btw, I did a complete/name defragmentation, and did a registry cleaning...Regards,Stjepan

You have a low spec system I'm afraid so your only option is to read up on all the posts on Avsim teaching you how to to tweak your system and FS9 - or upgrade your CPU and get a PCI-E card.Rob

Rob Prest

Intel Celeron D
There's the problem right there. Celerons are more than just a slower Pentium with less cache. They're designed to be poor performers.Best regards,.Robin.

Guest Worldliner

So a new CPU would enhance performance greatly? No need for a new gpu?btw, any suggestion on the CPU?

Hi Stjepan,I'm sorry to say it's rarely that simple.Although FS is mostly CPU dependent, my experience has always been that upgrading one or two things often doesn't fix much at all as there are still other parts of your machine that are just as slow as they were before. It MIGHT help, sure, but there's no guarantee.Having said that, the FPS you are getting aren't bad considering the machine you have.As a guide, my specs (below) give me excellent performance with full AI, clouds, and a complex add-on like the 744, at an add-on airport like Heathrow, all for about $1,000 USD. It's not small change I admit but worth saving for if you are an avid simmer!

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest Worldliner

Thanks, but I have some idea that even a new cpu won't help...So I'm ordering Alienware Area-51 ALX... If that one doesn't give me good performance, I don't know what will...Regards,Stjepan

A new CPU is the main thing FS needs. In your case a new cpu would mean new ram, new GPU, motherboard etc so yeah your better off just buying a new PC.Rob

Rob Prest

Have you actually put any money down for that system yet?? I advise you to seriously considering building one. You can usually build a better spec for less money. They're expensive.Best regards,Robin.

Guest Worldliner

I just noticed that i wrote Celeron instead of Pentium...So, i have Intel Pentium D 915 dual core 2,8 Ghz processor...Does it make any difference?btw, sorry for this, I got confused...Stjepan

Guest Worldliner

I found what is causing the frame rate drop, but it doesn't make much sense...The problem is in mouse. I have a good 25 fps on payware Zagreb, standing on the runway, then, if I move the mouse, the frame rate drops to 13-16 fps. When i stop moving the mouse it returns to about 18 fps, and finally, when the pointer disappears, the frame rate returns to 25 fps.But I don't understand why is drawing a pointer a problem for my cpu or gpu or whatever else...Stjepan

Stjepan:I would suggest a few hours browsing and searching the Hardware Forum. There are several knowledgeable users, DS17, NickN and Gary all pop to mind. The time you spend there will save you thousands (literally) if you are considering an Alieware purchase.As mentioned earlier, computers have become commodities, and unless you are not willing to make the effort- you can build it yourself for thousands less!My specs below, and those of countless others will provide a starting point........... FS9 is a wonderful experience with the right processor and GPU- on a properly set up system.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest Worldliner

Hi againI just want to say that my problem is solved by - installing Vista...I installed Vista 64-bit edition, installed FS9 with all the add-ons i had on FS9, and I get much better frame rate (I get 30 FPS (locked at 30) in both 2D, 3D and spot view) than on the XP.And that was with Aero running, Automatic Updates installing updates in the background, no Vista optimizations for better performance, the drive wasn't defragmented...Stjepan

Getting those FPS on that machine under Vista is bordering on a miracle!Still, happy to hear you've sorted the issue out.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg