Sign in to follow this  
Airbrakes

747-400 Simulator

After years of trying and begging I finally got a chance to fly the real 744 simulator last night. I must say I was really impressed about how close the PMDG 744 compares to the real thing. I flew from KJFK - KMCO with a R/W pilot with me. From pre flight to engine shutdown everything was great. Thank you PMDG for this awesome plane.

Can you describe the differences between PMDG 747 and the real simulator?Are you able to fly that simulator without help just based on your previous PMDG experience?I am very curious,Matyas Majzik

There actually wasint that many differences. The biggest difference I had to overcome was not looking at everythimg through a 17 inch moniter and pointing the mouse over everything. The things I had to remember was where the TA/GA switch was to arm the autothrottle on T/O and using a Tiller. Other than that it was really close. After I landed the plane the pilot told me I could have done it by myself. It was an experience Ill never forget and Id suggest to anybody to try it out.

Kevin- here's a pic for your comparison with the simulator- multi monitor FS9 and inset lower left, the real McCoy. Were you able to get any pics? We're all envious!Alex ReidPMDG 747 CYVR R26L. Inset photo by permission- Manuel Marin & jetphotos.nethttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191144.jpg

No sir they told me not to use a camera. Thats a nice setup you have.

Alex,What panels are you using and what hardware to drive them ? They look really sharp !Thanks,Frank Worley

Frank- The hardware is my 5 year old AMD XP2200 1.8GHz computer with 2GB RAM. Video is an AGP GeForce FX5200 card driving two mons plus a PCI same type for the third mon. No extra software nor networked processors. With this old processor, AI is reduced to about 30%, Autogen is off and most other FS9 settings are mid range. With the 2 secondary mons NOT active, FPS will be in the 30-40 range. With 3 mons & triple views (150