Sign in to follow this  
january

I have seen the FUTURE !! ----

And the future is BIG SCREEN- preferably a 42-48" 1920x1080 HD TV/Monitor! No more multiple monitors, no more bezels, no more panning and zooming to see and use different gauges/controls on the flight deck!Have a look at these screenshots from a 19" 4:3 monitor. Now visualize them enlarged and STRETCHED laterally on a 48" HD TV. Just a seamless 135

1080p isn't really that great of a resolution on a big screen like that... I have 1920X1200 on a screen half that size, a 24". I'd think it would look pretty grainy on one twice as big.We are doing widescreen panels for the MD-11 though.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Tabs- good news re widescreen panels. Any chance of a single 2D panel spanning both Captain & FO ? Alex Reid

Eric- for some more detailed discussion on this, see AVSIM FS Hardware Discussion forum- re topic "Got a 48"----?"Alex Reid

Alex:FWIW I went with the 40" Sony XBR. The way I figured it 1080p is 1080p no matter how big- i.e. there are only 1920 x 1080 pixels no matter how big the screen.I therefore chose the 40- big enough for realistic size when comparing the 3d EFIS box to my Aerosoft Australia hardware- and yet execptional picture quality even when sitting 15" away. Some of the other 1080p TVs simply did not cut it- for me.That's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;)Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 - FSGS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | Bose Companion 5 | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Carl- Thanks for your input- Tabs also suggests the same, re a 48" being a bit big for quality of image. So I'm happy to go with expert advice.Back in the 1930's, Packard Motor Car always included in their advertisements- "Ask The Man Who Owns One!"Have you tried a multiple view layout on your Sony 40? And have you tried the combined/blended 747 Captain/FO 2D panels & popups I showed in my "proof of concept" screenshots? (I don't think she would approve of me borrowing our wall mount 37" Toshiba/Regza from the living room for experiments!!!!) (tempting!)Alex Reid

I hooked up my Toshiba Regza 47" to the HTPC in the living room where I had FSX installed and tried it in 1920 x 1080. It certainly looked great but I was still sitting four meters away from the screen so it appeared smaller than my 22" that is some 50 cm from my nose. The TV is great for those late night Civilization IV games though.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

>Tabs- good news re widescreen panels. Any chance of a single>2D panel spanning both Captain & FO ? >Alex ReidNo sorry, we'll take the idea under advisement for future products though.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Krister- Interesting, thanks for posting.What happens if you create the triple views as I showed in the screenshots? And reduce the size of the 2D panel- then add the FO panel to complement- as well as several popups?I would expect these size reductions would make you want to be much closer- and you then get a 135

Tabs- don't wait too long- my next BD will be 77!!!!!!!:)Alex Reid

Alex,this is certainly OT but back in the good old days when the Fly!-series was alive and kicking, all panels in that simulator streched from the captains to the FO's side. You could move the viewpoint - scroll if you like - like we do today in MSFS when in VC mode sliding from left to right.. Fly! had panels to die for and nothing in MSFS came even close IMHO. Unfortunately that simualtor died with its lead developer Richard Harvey (RIP). PMDG did aircraft add-ons for the Fly!-series before switching to MSFS. Almost makes me want to install Fly2! and fly some PMDG 777 in all it's 1024x768 glory on my old 15" TFT-monitor! :D

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Krister- also very much OT.In 2000, I attended the MicroWings Magazine flight sim conference in Seattle. All the FLY developers were there for a presentation on FLY2.Afterwards they held a reception line to meet us, shake hands and present each of us with a personally autographed boxed copy of FLY2!A class act!! Sad to see it end so tragically.Also at that conference, Matrox demonstrated multi monitors powered by their new G400 video card. I was hooked: immediately ordered one- and never looked back! Multi Mons- the only way to fly: unless you've got multiple views on a single large HD TV screen!Alex Reid